Chapter Two

Terra kindly led me to all my classes that morning, even the ones we didn't share

Terra kindly led me to all my classes that morning, even the ones we didn't share. I was grateful for her help. Even though it was a small school, it was still an adjustment. Not to mention, all the eyes on me. I was likely the only new student that year and I stuck out like a sore thumb.

As the bell for lunch chimed and I walked out of my Biology class, I found Terra already waiting.

"Wanna eat in the cafeteria?" She asked.

"Actually," I pulled out a paper from the stack I was given by the secretary, "I was thinking I might look for the tutoring centre."

"Oh!" Terra exclaimed excitedly, "Yeah, I can take you there." We began to walk and Terra continued to talk. "You know if you need help with anything I can help you. I work as a tutor."

"I wanted to volunteer," I told her.

"Even better!" Terra's smile grew, "Maybe we can get the same schedule."

We stopped outside a large window. I looked in to see circular tables with chairs all around them. There were three teacher-style desks, with only one of them filled. Everyone else in the room were students.

"That's Mr. Foley." Terra pointed. I watched as he scratched his beard. His dark hair only made his already pale-coloured skin paler. "He's the one you'll want to talk to," Terra informed me.

"Thanks." I smiled at Terra, "No problem."

"Meet at our lockers in fifteen?" I asked.

Terra nodded, then turned on her heel and disappeared down the hallway into and into the herd of students heading for lunch.

I looked in the classroom again.

"You're so smart."

I closed my eyes and shook my head, willing his voice out.

"Tutoring would look great on your college application."

I felt my chest tightening. My breathing was becoming more rapid with each passing second. I pinched my eyes tighter as I tried to calm myself.

Stop.

Stop.

Stop!

"Are you okay?" I looked up to see Andrew.

"I'm fine," I answered quickly.

He gave me a doubtful look.

"Okay." He replied.

"I have to," I pointed towards the door of the tutoring centre, "Go."

He shrugged, "Okay."

As I turned back towards the door I needed to walk through, it dawned on me that this was the end of the hallway. Andrew had to have come from the tutoring centre.