Chapter Eleven

"Two root beer floats please," Andrew handed the menus to the waitress

"Two root beer floats please," Andrew handed the menus to the waitress. He turned his attention back to me, "Trust me. Best floats in New England."

I chuckled, "I wouldn't know." Andrew's eyes widened as I continued, "I've never had one."

Andrew looked genuinely surprised, "Well then. I guess your first is going to be pretty darn amazing."

I laughed and Andrew smiled. Even though we hadn't been around each other like this in weeks, we seemed to pick up where we left off. I felt weirdly relaxed around him despite everything.

The waitress reappeared with our drinks.

"Thank you," Andrew slid one across the table to me.

I looked down at the dark liquid that was topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Andrew smiled as he began to drink his.

"Do I stir it?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Up to you."

I put my lips around the straw and took a sip. The carbonation burned for a moment and at first, all I could taste was a black licorice-type flavour that I wasn't too sure I was that crazy about. However, it didn't take long for the creamy vanilla to take over my tastebuds. I took another sip, this one more creamy than the last.

"This is really good!"

Andrew chuckled, "I told you."

I took another long drink, savouring the sweet drink. Also the company.

"I asked you here for a reason," Andrew's voice drew me up from my treat.

"Oh?" I tried to keep my tone casual.

"Yeah," Andrew cleared his throat. "I did."

I kept looking at him but took another sip of my drink.

"I wanted to apologize," He said. I felt my lips part, but he continued speaking before I could say anything. "I was a jerk."

I nodded.

"You know," I ran my finger along the rim of the glass. "It wasn't so much that you tried to kiss me as it was that you left me alone after." Our eyes met and I could see shame. "I had to go through all the talking behind my back alone," I kept going.

He nodded, "I know."

"No one cared to hear the whole story," I said. "They were happy to paint me the villain and you the injured hero." Andrew nodded as I continued. "I asked you to bring me home. Not to stop being my friend."

He sighed, "Okay, I get it. I screwed up."

"You sure did," I responded without pause.

Andrew's mouth dropped open, but then he closed it.

"I forgive you though."

Andrew brightened a little, "You do?"

"This time."