Chapter Twelve

Andrew and I both looked at each other, equally surprised to see the other

"H-hi." I stammered out.

"Well don't leave them standin' there," Dad pulled the door from my hand. "Come in, come in!"

I smoothed my dress as Andrew's father, mother, brother, and Andrew himself crowded into our small entranceway.

"So you know my son?" Dominic asked as we all headed to the living room.

Mom had set out an impressive spread of hors d'eurves ranging from ones that would be more appealing to the older adults like blue cheese - shudder. As well as for the younger, pigs in a blanket.

Mom never made food like this.

I grabbed one of the wrapped hot dogs and put it in my mouth. It was delicious.

"Oh, this is nice!" Violet exclaimed as she touched a lace knit scarf, "And soft. Where did you buy it?"

"I made it," Mom corrected her.

Violet's eyes opened a bit wider, "This is incredible."

She pulled it further out of the basket to give it a better look.

"Honestly, I'd buy this." She inspected the garment more closely.

"Buy it?" Mom seemed surprised.

"You knit lovely things." Dad reached over and took Mom's hand in his.

"I'm serious." Violet looked directly at Mom. "I really think people in town would buy something like this."

Mom smiled but didn't say anything. Her eyes were slightly narrowed as if she were considering what Violet was telling her.

"So," Dominic clapped his hands together, "Rori, you must've just finished the daunting business of applying to college."

A change in subject.

I nodded my head, "Yes sir."

"Sir!" Dominic beamed. "I love it."

Beside him, David rolled his eyes as he reached for more food.

"Where did you apply to?" Violet asked.

I looked at Andrew who gave a small shrug.

"Well, I applied to a lot of places. I have my heart set on Dartmouth, but I also applied to the University of Maine, The University of Southern Maine, and a few others in New Hampshire."

"That's where you're from, right?" Violet put some cheese on a cracker. "New Hampshire."

"Yes," Mom answered for me. "Hanover."

Violet nodded as she took a bite of her food.

"That's where Andrew is hoping to go," Dominic said what I already knew.