NINE - DOCTOR'S NOTE

It was six-thirty in the evening on a Wednesday when Tony found himself at the door to Sasha's apartment. Steve had reached out to him earlier that day voicing a concern when he hadn't heard from Sasha for over four days.

At first, Steve had convinced himself that Sasha simply wasn't interested in him anymore, but he soon talked himself out of that idea when he remembered that it was her that had made the suggestion of having another date that upcoming Saturday night.

He called Tony earlier that day, asking if he'd heard anything from Sasha in the past week. Although Tony felt like he had a great friendship with Sasha, they rarely spoke to one another unless it was in person. Even if Tony wanted to text her, he knew the likelihood of her actually replying to his text in a normal amount of time was almost nonexistent because of how busy her job kept her.

He was happy enough catching up in their usual haunt, the same booth in O'Shea's over beers and free peanuts, enjoying hearing about the office gossip she would manage to ramble on about for at least an hour.

The way Sasha talked and talked without stopping made it clear to Tony that she needed somebody to listen. It was obvious she kept a lot of weight on her shoulders, never taking more than a few moments of courteous small talk before offloading about some problems she'd been having at work to him.

Tony didn't mind, though. He felt happy knowing Sasha was leaving the bar with an empty conscience, perhaps getting a better nights sleep after telling him everything that had been playing on her mind all week.

He didn't necessarily offer any kind of advice or solution to her problems or rants, he just listened. He sat and looked at her, not taking his eyes away from her for even a second while she spoke, making sure she knew that she had his full attention.

Sasha wasn't an overly affectionate person, but she had told Tony how much she appreciated him on more than one occasion. Granted, she had never said the words without alcohol in her system, but he took it all the same, knowing how difficult it was for her to open up.

It warmed his heart to hear her say that to him. He didn't get praise often, at least not on a personal level, not from anyone he cared about, anyway. There was something about hearing Sasha tell him she was grateful to have him in her life that gave him more satisfaction than saving any city or country ever could.

He too initially assumed that Sasha had simply ghosted Steve, though when six hours had passed without a reply to a text he sent her asking to go for beers at O'Shea's, Tony knew something wasn't right.

Knowing Sasha worked long hours made the extensive wait at her front door for an answer that little bit less anticipating, though Tony couldn't quite shake the feeling of unsettlement in his stomach.

He was worried about his friend in truth, knowing that she always replied to his texts within a couple of hours, even if it was only a one word answer, especially ones about going for drinks.

When he heard the lock click and watched the door swing open, he let out a relieved sigh, happy to see Sasha alive and well.

"Tony, what are you doing here?"

"I, uh, I came by to check on you. Cap hadn't heard from you in a while and well, then I realised that neither had I. I just wanted to make sure everything was alright, that's all."

She was stood holding onto the door dressed in wide-legged satin pyjama bottoms with a matching button down shirt, both in a deep blue colour with white piping around the hem and collar. Her hair was tied back into a ponytail and her skin, for the first time since they'd met, was clear of any makeup.