TWENTY THREE - UNCERTAINTY

Sasha was curled up on the sofa beneath a blanket when her phone rang. She grabbed it from the glass coffee table, smiling at the sight of Tony's name on the screen.

"Hey," she said, clearing her throat.

"I'm on my way over, do you want bagels or waffles? I'm swinging by that breakfast place on the corner, I'm starving."

Hungover would've been a slightly dramatic word to use to describe how Sasha was feeling that morning, but she certainly didn't feel fresh. She'd only had two drinks with Sean in the bar the night before, but after having not drank alcohol for the entirety of January, the two vodka tonics she downed in half an hour had made their mark.

"Do you think they have pancakes? I'd love banana and chocolate chip. Waffles would be great otherwise, please."

"Sure thing, see you in twenty."

She threw her phone back onto the table and rose to her feet, deciding that she needed to make herself at least half way presentable for Tony after not seeing him for so long.

She showered quickly and cleaned her teeth, pulling on leggings and a sweater before running the straighteners through her hair. Her reflection in the mirror seemed glum, her skin pale and her eyes dull, a lifeless essence to her as she stared at herself.

Admittedly, there was a bubbling of anxiety in Sasha's stomach at the thought of seeing Tony. Her soul had ached for him but like every loss she'd suffered in her life, overworking herself had done the trick at distracting her from the pain of being without him.

That being said, Sasha had began to worry that being without Tony would turn into the new norm, a reality that she hadn't considered when she first felt her heart skip a beat whenever he looked into her eyes.

Intrusive and unwanted thoughts had always been easily brushed aside by allowing work to consume her mind instead, though she'd often lay awake at night with a feeling of dread that perhaps overstepping the mark as friends to lovers had been a mistake, wondering how on Earth the two of them could make time for a relationship to work.

With her heart in her mouth, Sasha unlocked the door after hearing Tony knock on the other side. The sight of him in front of her for the first time in what felt like a painful eternity almost made her tear up, immediately throwing her arms around his neck before he'd even had chance to step into her apartment.

"Hey, hey," he laughed quietly, hugging her back with one arm around her waist, "Don't crush your pancakes."

Sasha didn't let go as Tony edged forward, kicking the door closed with his heel and placing the paper bag down on the floor, his other arm meeting her waist, embracing her back tightly.

She didn't say anything which alarmed Tony, making him loosen his grip on her with expectations of her doing the same. Only her arms stayed firmly wrapped around him, her fingers gently running through his hair and her face buried into the crook of his neck, quiet but jilted breaths tickling his skin.

Tony kissed her cheek before taking her face into his hands, forcing her to take a small step back so they were finally looking into one another's eyes.

"You're here." Was all Sasha said, with trembling lips and watery eyes, her palms warm on the sides of his neck.

His lips pulled to the side in a soft smirk, his eyes gentle as they caressed every part of her face, almost forgetting what it was like to have his breath taken away by being so close to her.

"Yeah," he said quietly, "I'm here."

With slight hesitation and undeniable temptation, Tony kissed Sasha. Her lips felt like silk against his own and he felt his chest flutter at the sensation, missing the way she kissed him with ease and passion, light yet deep all at once.