THIRTY TWO - BACK AT HOME

Sasha was discharged from the hospital one week later. She was on the mend with her shoulder still needing to be in a sling for an extra two weeks, however her ribs had almost healed fully by that point and her internal injuries had been given the all clear by the doctors.

Tony had slept in the hospital room on the floor beside Sasha every night since his return. As much as she urged him to go home and rest, there was nothing on earth that would've made Tony leave her side. He was still weighed down with guilt and even the thought of leaving her for just a couple of hours made his stomach turn, the only thing relaxing him being spending time with her.

Sasha slept a lot of the time, the sedatives she was given to numb the pain made her drowsy and in and out of sleep for most of the day. When she was awake, she couldn't take her eyes off of Tony. Her hand was constantly reaching for him, wanting to touch his skin and see his smile. Looking into his eyes was the only thing that truly made her forget about the pain she was in, flooding her soul full of unmatched endorphins that made her heart flutter though the broken and bruised ribs.

Tony had found the seven days and nights excruciatingly difficult. Sasha's memory was very temperamental which had become more apparent the more the two of them spoke. She wasn't forgetting major things or anything greatly important, but it still broke pieces of Tony's heart to see a blankness behind her eyes in the middle of conversations.

"I'm gonna stay with you, alright? We can be at your place or mine, whatever you prefer."

Tony was driving incredibly slow through the streets of New York with Sasha in the passenger seat, her seatbelt held low at her stomach to save pressure on her sore ribs.

"I-I thought my place got totally wiped out?"

His knuckles turned white for a split second as he gripped the steering wheel harder with a clenched jaw, swallowing the lump in his throat before quickly glancing to the side with a soft smile.

"You have a new place," he said, "Penthouse, real fancy. We'll go there first anyway, there's no rush to decide."

Tony drove with one hand on Sasha's thigh the rest of the journey, her hand gently resting on top of his own as they rode in silence. He knew that Sasha was growing more and more frustrated with herself over being unable to remember things, the silence after anytime he had to remind her of something making it obvious.

They eventually arrived at Sasha's apartment building and still, she appeared clueless to her home as Tony parked the car and helped her out, his hand on the small of her back as they made their way inside and into the elevator.

"Wow," Sasha laughed quietly as they stepped out onto her floor, "This is fancy."

As they walked down the hallway towards her door, a gentleman from the apartment beside her's was locking his own door, turning with a double-take once he realised it was his Sasha heading his way.

"Sasha? God, I got worried when I hadn't seen you in the building in a while. Are you alright?"

Tony was about to interject, having a gut feeling Sasha wouldn't recognise the curly-haired gentleman who she'd never once mentioned to him, only for his lips to remain closed.

"Sean," she said with a smile, "It's so good to see you, I'm on the mend. This is Tony, by the way. Tony, this is Sean, my neighbour."

"Oh shit," Sean laughed, shaking his head with an embarrassed smile as he recognised Tony, "Sorry man, I didn't recognise you at first, great to meet you."

The two men shook hands and Tony requited his polite words, "Nice to meet you too."

"Well I would say if you need anything that you know where I am, but it seems like you'll be well catered for."