SIXTY FIVE - I DO

"What the Hell am I doing? This is crazy."

Sasha found herself pacing back and forth in a side room of a little white chapel in downtown Las Vegas, mumbling to herself as she desperately tried to calm down her mind and slow her thoughts, feeling as though time was moving through her.

It had been a quick turnaround from finishing dinner that night to taking a cab from the hotel in a wedding dress to the chapel Tony had found, but Sasha had made it work.

She'd called down to reception for someone to come up and steam her wedding dress, adamant that she wouldn't get married with creases in the gown. She'd also had a slight moment of panic when she realised that the only high heels she'd brought with her had been black, but luckily Tony was more than happy to run to a store and pick up a pair of white Jimmy Choos for his bride.

With help from a friendly woman who worked on reception in the hotel, Sasha managed to slip into her gown and pull on her shoes without ruining her hair or makeup, adding a quick spritz of perfume and topping up her lipgloss before piling herself into the backseat of a cab.

Tony had left the hotel room an hour earlier once Sasha had everything she needed. He'd taken himself for a quick drink at the bar before heading to the chapel to wait for her, though was delighted to find a fridge full of cold beer to pass the time with once he'd arrived.

The alcohol she'd drank that day had pretty much worn off thanks to the anxiety Sasha felt while she waited to be called to the altar in the next room, feeling like her heart was in her mouth and her senses were in overdrive, pacing around the small space being the only thing to stop her from going insane.

"You alright, Miss?"

Her head snapped up from the ground at the sound of a voice addressing her. A gentleman in his early fifties was passing by the room in a plaid shirt and baseball cap, a hip flask in his hand and a concerned smile lingering on his lips.

Sasha looked at him, shrugging her shoulders once before letting out a huge sigh, "Just nervous, I guess."

The man laughed and walked through the doorway, leaning against the wall with one foot crossed over the other at his ankle, tilting his head ever so slightly.

"Please tell me you actually know the guy, right? Because I've worked here for twenty years and I'm yet to see a marriage between two people that have met the same night that hasn't been annulled by the morning."

Sasha chuckled shyly, shaking her head, "I know him, don't worry. It's just a lot, you know? I never even thought I'd get married and now look at me."

Her nerves were clear as she let out a shaky laugh and lifted up the skirt of her dress, rolling her eyes at herself which caused the man to smile more, a sparkle in his dark eyes.

"Well I think you look beautiful, if you don't mind me saying. And the guy, I'm sure he's incredibly lucky to be marrying you."

"You think?" Sasha said, raising her brows with wondering wide eyes.

She wasn't sure why she was engaging with the stranger so much, but with a head full of indistinguishable thoughts, talking to someone seemed to make her mind a little less hazy.

"Sure. And if he loves you and you love him, you've got nothing to be afraid of, sweetheart."

Biting her lip, Sasha nodded in agreement, "You're right, it'll all be fine. I think I just thought that, as a little girl, anyway, if I ever did get married that I'd be surrounded by family, my dad by my side for this part, you know?"

The man slipped the hip flask into the pocket of his jeans before drawing in a deep breath. He could sense the apprehension from Sasha a mile away, her pacing had been echoing through to the next room for the last ten minutes. It wasn't uncommon for him to see brides panicking last minute about what was about to happen, and most of the time it was for good reason considering there were a lot of very new relationships making things official beneath that roof, but it was clear that Sasha was truly a woman in love.