FORTY NINE - BATTLE SCARS

"Home sweet home."

Sasha sighed with a small smile as she and Tony stopped outside The Plaza. It was just shy of midnight by the time they'd finished up their evening at a nice restaurant a couple of blocks away, deciding to take a refreshing walk back to Sasha's home that night while the sky was clear instead of hailing a cab.

Poised opposite one another at the foot of iconic marble steps, the two lovers were seemingly unaware of the world around them as they stared at one another amidst a muted chaos of cab cars and valet parking, suitcases being dragged by bellhops and doormen greeting each guest with a charming 'good evening'.

Tony and Sasha had mastered the art of only ever seeing each other. In a world filled with noise, they thrived in finding a little piece of heaven by locking eyes with the one soul that was strong enough to drown out the other 8 billion that existed around them.

"Thank you for tonight, I love spending time with you."

With a shy laugh and roll of her eyes, Sasha squeezed Tony's hand, "You don't have to thank me."

He smirked and shook his head, "I do, that's what you do after a date, a first date. You say thank you, I had a great time, I'd love to see you again."

"And then?"

"And then," Tony inhaled a deep breath, tugging on Sasha's hand with a grin as she stumbled closer to him, his other hand catching her by the waist, "I do this."

Tony kissed Sasha softly, tenderly. It didn't last long, no more than a gentle first kiss should last, both of them pulling apart with the same stars mirrored in their eyes and a fire in their chests that rivalled even that of the sun.

"And then I say," Sasha whispered, brushing hair from her face, "Thank you for dinner, and for walking me home. Goodnight, Tony."

There was a red tint in Tony's cheeks when he listened to Sasha say his name. His hands felt cold as she let go of him, though his smile still remained as he watched her walk away from him, ascending the red carpeted stairs that might as well have been the stairway to his own personal heaven.

Sasha turned to look back at him just before heading inside the hotel, having to bite down on her lip to contain a ravenous smile that threatened when she saw the look in his eyes and the way he gazed up at her in admiration dancing with desire.

She knew in her mind that she should probably have just continued on her way and gotten a good nights sleep, though she felt paralysed by the man five steps down from her, unable to walk any further away from him.

"Would you like to come in for a coffee, maybe?"

A devilish flame burned hot in Tony's eyes as he didn't hesitate in climbing the steps, placing a hand on the small of Sasha's back while pressing his lips to her cheek.

"I thought you'd never ask."

Hand in hand, Sasha led Tony through the hotel with a confidence in her stride. Her hair flowed behind her shoulders and her long legs caught the eye of every man and woman they passed on their way to Sasha's suite, something that sparked a jealousy within Tony, though one that was soothed when Sasha glanced back at him over her shoulder with a hint of a smile.

"Coffee?" Sasha said as she threw her fur coat over the back of a chair, "Or something stronger?"

Tony had never stepped foot inside a suite at The Plaza, though was surprised to see how homely it felt thanks to Sasha's belongings being strewn throughout the rooms.

There was a living area with a small bar and kitchenette, a dining table and a desk by the window. Two large sofas surrounded an antique coffee table in front of a flat screen television that was mounted on the wall.