Chapter 1 - when the world is crashing down

She was heavier then expected. I absently stroke the back of the girl sitting on my lap. It was a very beautiful summer afternoon at the end of the school year. Elphias and I had just finished our last exam and were now sitting at the lake with some others. Elphias had pushed me to allow Poppy Sweeting who (due to him) had admired me for several years, to sit on my lap. To be honest she was handsome, with huge brown eyes, sweet freckles and long chestnut coloured hair, braided carefully while a few strands had fallen out almost casually. She was smart and kind and I really liked talking to her but as I said, on my lap the girl was heavier then expected and I catchend myself imagining to be in the silent, cool library, controlling my answers in the exams. I ripped out a blade of grass, stuck it into my mouth and leant back against the tree trunk, closing my eyes to repeat the answers at least in my head and comparing them with what I had learned before. "Are you sleepy? I don't wanna disturb you.", asked Poppy. How attentive. "No it's allright, I was just running through the exam honey, nothing important.", I answered, opening my eyes and shot a look at Elphias to check if I got the honey thing right. He nodded assuring. Love is something that doesn't just catch your senses but your heart. It's a commitment and a promise and pet names are a cute way to show it, Elphias had explained to me but even now I had to admit that I did not really get it and still pictured myself rather in the library then here with a nice girl in my lap. "Hey Dumbledore. You got a letter. An owl just threw it right at me in the owlery. Seems to be urgent." Once more I was ripped from my thoughts. Theseus Scamander, a 1st year who seemed to like being around me waved a letter in his hand. I took the letter eagerly from his hands. The scribbling was hard to read and suggested that it had been done in a great haste. "Thanks Theseus.", I said absently, lying my eyes on Poppy. "I am inconsolable but I have to read it." For a Moment she looked at me bewildered. "Alone.", I added and now her look was disappointed but she got the wink and left my lap uncomplaining. "I apologise. I'll be right back." When I jumped onto my feet I ignored Elphias look who had advised me to give her a proper goodbye if I should feel like leaving but our ideas of proper goodbyes were different and I would definitely not kiss her on the cheek right in public. I crossed the lawn with huge steps, clutching the letter in my hands. I was glad to have an excuse to leave when I reached the library which was as cool and silent as I had expected. Eagerly I broke the rough seal of the letter. Even though I had not yet been able to indicate the writer by the scribbling I was highly assured that it was one of my contacts in the upper class of the wizarding community. Maybe it was Nicholas Flamel, telling me of his newest achievements with the experiments we had talked through before my exams had started or maybe even Spout-Hole the minister for magic who had demanded several times that I must come visit him after school and probably catch a closer look on my career chances. So far I had always refused to give a clear date as Elphias and I had planned a tour together which I dearly did not want to miss because of the stunning places and possible discoveries it offered. Inside the envelope were two letters. One was adressed to me and the other one to my great surprise to the headmaster himself. My hopes were rising to find a note by one of my friends out of school who might want demand something from the headmaster in my favours. I unfolded my letter eagerly and before I began to read I checked out the name at the bottom. Bathilda Bagshoot Well that was a fair surprise. Bathilda was a nice woman and it was informative to talk to her but I did not expect mail from her side. Confused but curious I began to read.

Dear Albus
You must be wondering why I would write to you and I am utterly sorry to force you to learn it that way without comfort or a hand to hold. Dear boy, your mother Kendra died.
I found her yesterday along with a panicking and crying Ariana next to her. I am not sure what caused that terrible happening but Ariana wouldn't stop to speak of an accident which was hard to follow as she seems very confused naturally. I am taking care of her currently and make sure that she is looked after.
Dearest Albus, I give my most honest condolences and cannot express my grief for you and your brother. Though I must ask you to speak to your teachers as soon as possible and come home where I believe you are dearly needed as Ariana names you and your brother frequently and I am sure that also Aberforth and you yourself will need one another. You will find another letter in the envelope which I adressed to your headmaster. It explains the circumstances and shall make it as easy for you as possible.
Be assured that I will do everything in my power to help you carry this burden.
Let me say this: Kendra loved you from her deepest heart and you are not all alone Albus.

Kindest regards
Bathilda Bagshoot

It was complete silence inside my head and for a moment I just stared disbelievingly at the words I just read. Then everything turned black.

I came to my senses again as someone tapped my arm and said my name. It was clear that I must have been unconscious for a few seconds because I had not realised someone entering the library and stepping up to me. I lifted my gaze to take Professor Fortinbras my teacher for charms into my view. "Albus dear boy are you unwell?", he asked worried. "Why are you not outside enjoying the end of the exams?" Your mother Kendra died. With a rush the past five minutes came back to my mind. "Professor.", I said as calm as possible. "I need to speak to Professor Nigellus. It is urgent. Can you take me there?" To avoit thinking to much about the letter itself I focused on the sound of my voice. Urgent but not panicking. "Of course. Come along." I thanked the Professor in silence that he did not question it but hurried out of the library. We reached a stony gargoyle and on a word of Fortinbras (Nero) it jumped aside and revealed a staircase spiralling upwards. Both of us stepped on it to come to half in front of a highly polished oak door with a doorknob formed like a serpent, clearly showing Nigellus patience for the house of Slytherin. Professor Fortinbras knocked on the door. "Come in.", the nasal voice of the headmaster greeted us. The Professor stepped entered alongside me. "Headmaster, Mr. Dumbledore has an urgent request to adress at you, if you could spare him some time?" Phineas Nigellus eyed me for one second and I knew that he enjoyed to let me wait in this. We got along but we had never liked each other. He was a headmaster who originally came from Slytherin and he made sure to point out how much he favoured Slytherin. I expect that I had been a threat for him in this eversince because even Nigellus could not deny my educational success ad that every professor expect from him favoured me. "Well Dumbledore? You may leave Professor." The latter adressed at Fortinbras who bowed zealously and left the room. "What makes you seek my help?", he asked. I took a deep breath to supress how I shuddered from the inside. The blackout had retreated so far still my view seemed to be turning way to fast. Your mother Kendra died. On our way here I had run the words through in my head several times to make sure what they meant still I suspected that the true message had already found me. I understood but all I felt was a huge emptiness inside me which I could not really get a grip on. Without saying a word I got the second letter of Bathilda out of my pocket, the one which was specifically adressed to the headmaster. He took it just as silenced and did not show any sign of understanding or emotion while reading it. Finally he put the writing down and gazed at me with these cold black eyes. "My condolences Dumbledore. Miss Bagshoot says that you seem to be the new head of the family and are therefore required to return instantly. I can arrange that the train brings you home right tomorrow and that your results will be handed out to you in the morning." "Alright.", I said but was nit able to force a thank-you out of my mouth. "Miss Bagshoot mentiones a sister of yours. Does she not go to school? You seem to be her caretaker now.", he asked and I heard the curiosity in his voice. "She is very ill Professor. It cannot be healed and she needs to be taken care of at home.", I answered as briskly as possible to avoid further questioning in that topic. "Did you already tell your brother Dumbledore?", Phineas Nigellus wondered. "No sir.", I said truthfully. "Then I strongly advise you to do so. He will be freed from the last weeks as well." I nodded and turned on my heals. I felt an ugly anger rise inside me as I left the office. I strongly advise you to do so. You seem to be her caretaker. As if I did not know what it meant. He was my teacher. Was t not his task to help me, to assist me with a brother who would yes what would Aberforth do once he got the news? Would he cry, would he be mad at me, would he be mad at Ariana? We are in the same boat. He can grief when we are home. For now this has to work out. A sudden neutrality got hold of me and I quickly walked down the marble staircase to find my brother out on the lawns. Aberforth our mother is dead. I would say. We are going home tomorrow to look for Ariana. I am the head of the family now. Please you must do what I tell you. I would advise him to pack quickly. I would bring him home. I would not go to a travel with Elphias, I would not meet Nicholas Flamel or Spout-Hole the minister for magic. I would go home to burry my mother. And it still seemed not to be true at all.