Chapter 9 - Arianas inspiration

"What are you doing Albus?" Arianas voice ripped me from my thoughts. Her eyes were huge and demanding. Nothing dear.", I answered. "Don't lie to me!" It felt like a slap in the face. Of course, she was right and my answer had been a particularly stupid one. For hours I had been scribbling, had crossed out again and finally copied the results. Two clean letters were lying in front of me. "Have you been sitting there all the time?", I asked my sister who had not taken her stare off me. She nodded.

"So, what do you think I do?",

"You are writing letters.", she said. "Well, there you have your answer." I knew that this was mean but I could not concentrate on her right now. Critically I reread the second letter. It was not too long but not to short either. It was written accurately and still stating the point clearly.

Dear Gellert

As we agreed I have written to the ghosts of Hogwarts including the Bloody Baron. As you might not know he is the most feared of the ghosts but also the one who might own a little control over the other ghosts and he belongs to the house Slytherin. If there is anything worth our attention, he is most likely to know it.

Furthermore, I have reflected what you told me about our plans and I wanted to bring up another thought which might be an inspiration for our next meeting. We have not really agreed on what it means to make the world a better place. I think to truly achieve this we must include all parts of the magic society, meaning specifically magical creatures which are known to have intelligence and emotions most common to those of humans such as house elves or goblins. I strongly believe ghat we would be far more successful if we would have them behind us especially the goblins of whom I hope that they might not be unfamiliar with the resurrection stone or the cloak as well as they are the keepers of the greatest gods which the magical community has to offer.

I would highly appreciate it if we could think this through next time.

Yes, this expressed my thoughts most virtuously. Still, I struggled with the last line. No sentence and no ending seemed to fit properly.

"Best regards Albus"... this sounded as if I was writing to a politician.

"Yours Albus"... I was far away from being his and he was far away from being mine as I had to admit that we almost did not know one another.

"See you then Albus"... this destroyed the whole formality and urgency of the letter before.

I covered my face with my hands. In that position I did not see my sister bowing over the paper until she said: "Just put your name under it." And this advice was so very simple and logical that I blinked for a moment. Then I had an idea.

I wrote my Name but transformed the "A" into the sign for the Deydly Hallows

What symbol is that.", Ariana asked. I really should stop underestimating her presence and eyes which paid too much attention. "I have seen it at a grave near mums." Her voice was almost neutral but an ice-cold chill ran through my body. "When have you been to mothers grave." She shrugged. "Aberforth took me when you were not home." I was sure that she did not mean to criticize me but it was obvious that I had not paid enough attention on her in the last days. "I am sorry Ariana. I should have taken you there." She ignored my words. "What does the symbol mean?" I sighed and thought about how to explain this as unrevealing as possible because she did not react well on mentioning magic usually and was now after reading the letter surprisingly calm. I did not want to disrupt this. "You remember the tales mum used to tell us?" She nodded. "This is just like the summarize of one of them. Gellert and I like the tale and the symbol and I thought it would be fun." Well... technically I did not lie. "Can you tell the story please?", she asked and looked at me while she made herself comfortable on the kitchen bench and curled up like a cat. "I... I cannot tell it the way mum did." I saw a gleam in her eyes but when she spoke her voice was stable and bold. "That's fine. Just tell it the way you would tell it." "Right.", I cleared my throat.

"There were three brothers wandering along a street at..."

"Midnight.", Ariana said. "Don't you think midnight is more like a fairytale?"

"You are right. Must have been midnight. So, they reached a river which was very dangerous to pass."

Suddenly a thought appeared in my head. Ariana sat opposite me with closed eyes and looked so peaceful. So, I decided not to interrupt the story and kept telling it while my mind rested at this simple beginning. Where was that river? If we could track down the beginning of the story, we might be able to follow the way the owners of the stone or the cloak must have taken. If almost every wizard-child was familiar with the tale, the people actually living near that place might know even more. I was not totally sure but as we had almost nothing to start with, we could at least try to begin somewhere. Ariana and I followed the three brothers. The middle brother would eventually go back home. Where was that home and was the stone still there? For our next meeting I would have a lot of further ideas and with each little piece added to it I could no longer wait to see him.