Chapter 8 - Gellert and Albus

Books were spilled all over the garden table. I sat opposite of Gridelwald. Once home again he had presented me all the books he owned about the topic of which the most promising was an old version of the tale of three brothers not the perfect base for our research. But it turned out that he did know a lot which suggested plenty years of searching before. I tried to imagine him in a school library, the tall slim body covered in the pelt-cloaks which belonged to the Durmstrang school uniform, hovered over books. The pale smart student who spent his time and good marks on running behind a fairytale. "Do you have many friends?", I asked out of the blue not really knowing why. I watched him rising his gaze, while he sat on the garden bench, one arm rested lazy on the back and his right leg was stretched over the seat. The sun made his pale face gleam like alabaster and at my question he threw back his blonde head and laughed a deep and sensitive laughter. I tried not to blush. It had been a silly quenstion but out here in the sunlight to imagine him among others at a school at all was hard. "No not really.", he said picking up my question. "To be honest I am not very keen on people whom I have to explain my thoughts to. Or eventually only speak about silly and boring topics. I find that exhausting." For some reason I was glad that he had said it and I was surprised because an ugly inner voice of mine agreed with him all along. But my rational side wanted to say something: "But don't you think there's more about friendship than just intelligent talks? It's also about company and support." He nodded. "Yes but the books have kept me good company and I can support myself well enough. I don't need the others honour and love as long as they do not get into my way." "Then why are you sitting here with me? We don't know each other at all." Saying this I realised that I had wondered about this eversince. It was nice to have a distraction but this distraction, meaning Grindelwald himself, would most likely be only temporarily. So why even start spending time with him. But he smiled on my question. "That, Dumbledore, I don't know. But I think it's different with you. You get every thought I tell you, don't you?" It was a compliment but coming from his mouth it rather sounded like a mere analysis. Still I smiled a little and flipped the page. A large family tree was presented there. The book had been called Thy most famous wizarding families and was rather old and generally full of family trees but this one was different. It was just as decorated as the other but headed with The Slytherin Family and there right at the top was a tiny little name. Cadmus Peverell. The lines went on downwards until Salazar Slythering himself but shortly after there were no lines left and several were ending with unclear. "Look at this.", I said to Grindelwald. "Looks like Cadmus was an anchestor of Slytherin himself." Grindelwald watched the page eagerly. "Is anything known about Slytherin?", he asked. I shrugged. "He is known for founding Hogwarts and having a fight with his friend Goodric Griffendor which made him leave the castle. But afterwards his line looses itself." "Could the stone be possibly at Hogwarts?", Grindelwald asked. I shook my head. "I doubt that. Slytherin was as far as I know very young when he left. Why should he have left such a powerful object behind with a friend with whoom he had a fight? And the stone has been lost for a long time. Don't you think they would have found it already?" For some time it was silence and Grindelwald seemed really upset that this little peace had been lost in darkness so fast but then I had another idea. "I could write to the ghosts of Hogwarts. If there had ever been such an object around or even a creation of it they would know for sure. And they have been there longer than anyone else." "Yes. Yes you do that. That is brilliant. Wait I will just get you ink and a quill.", he said and hoped from the bench onto the windowsill.

"Lerty honey will you come into the kitchen please? Dinner is ready.", Bathilda Bagshoot shouted through the house. I couldn't help but smile a tiny, mockery smile. "Lerty? Is that what you like to be called?" He shrugged. "She is my aunt. She sometimes calls me funny names." "Can I call you Lerty as well?", I asked boldly. "Only if I can call you Alby.", he passed back and I lifted an eyebrow at the quck conter. "Well then let's better stay with Gellert and Albus.", I said a bit more quiet, turning to collect the few books I had brough over. "Bye then Albus.", I hear him say, oberpronouncing my name. "By Gellert.", I answered when he jumped into the living room. it had been the first time that he had used my first name. I had mentioned them thoughtless. Gellert and Albus I repeated in my mind. It had felt good saying it.