Chaptet 12 - Seconds passing by

His expression was perfectly calm as Gellert was slowly taking in what he saw. I had made it all too clear that this was nothing he ought to know, that my sister was no one he ought to know. And now exactly that girl offered him to get to know her. I stiffened as I saw a little curiosity in his eyes. He wanted to know... naturally. I was familiar with this feeling. More than once I had triumphed in discussions just by informing myself about my challenger. Knowledge was power. Suddenly a smile spread on his face and he slowly shook his head. "That is very polite of you but I got a lot of things to do. I just brought Albus home." He did not give her time to respond but turned around. In passing me he lightly touched my hand and when he looked me in the eyes and smirked it was clear what he said. His face usually so hard to read with only single, plain emotions was all exposed. He had left because he respected my pledge. Gellert had pushed down his curiosity just to give me the space I had longed for but as I saw him turn around the corner there was nothing more, I wanted but call him back.

"Why did he leave?", asked my sister and brought me back to presence. "Didn't you listen?", I asked. But as the words left my tongue, I realized how mean this was. It was for hells sake not Arianas fault that he had left but mine and my bad mistrust and overwhelming fear he would see me as the locked away family head without a sense for responsibility. The one I really was. "Apologies Ariana. I did not mean to be rude. Let's just get back inside and I don't know... play something." She smiled at me. "Don't worry." And I was unsure what she really meant.

The emptiness was murderous. When before I had longed to get up and meet Gellert to train or study I was unsure whether I should walk over and frankly ask for him or not. I tried to keep myself busy with the work we had begun together. And because our notes were partly at his place, I had no access to some so I started entirely new on the cloak of invisibility, the one hallows that occurred to us to be the hardest to track down. Thinking about it I struggled with finding any use in it as it seemed to do nothing more than hide one from others eyes which could be done with an easy spell as well but as it belonged to the hallows the powerful triangle would not be complete without it. Ignotius Peverell was meant to be the first owner of the artefact. I spent hours on working myself once more through endless generation charts, hoping to find a child of his to whom he might have given it to because that was what the fairytale said. I read about five books about invisibility and merely found the track of a witch who was famous for her ability to hide herself but after some research with new energy that path lead to nothing.

The lack of success was disappointment on a new level. I was not familiar with the feeling of failing and when Gellert and I had researched towards the wrong direction we had later on laughed about it and pictured it as a benefitting occasion to learn new things. On my own instead I just felt like running as fast as possible without really moving forward. By the time I could not bear it any longer I got a habit of strolling over to Gellert's up to three times a day and check on him. He was never there for whatever reason. I got grumpy and Ariana and Aberforth were torturing my nerves even more. My main disappointment concentrated on the blonde guy who now acted just like I had thought him to act. He had found out and dumped me. The one I had appreciated yes even been in awe for his talent and intelligence... he had quitted me without even looking back. This conclusion did not make it hurt less. Even the brightest of brains was not saved from egoism, idiotism, and a lack of feeling sorry for others, even the brightest man was deadly human.

At home I came to think of Elphias Dodge with whom I had planned to travel. I had not thought about him once. Well, my mother died, I tried to convince me in my minds but I knew that that was only true up to a certain moment when a certain guy had stepped up to my front door. 

This was the first time when I went to my mothers grave. I had tried to find Gellert four days I a row. I had tried to study and to do something with my siblings. I had cooked but never, not for a second gotten my mind away from his different colored eyes. It felt like going crazy. I did not even realize where I was going until I stood right in front of the rough stone. In sadness and fury, I had decided against a fresh wooden cross because this would have been seen. I had taken as much money as I had dared to have this cheap stone. The crafted writing was by myself. Where your treasure is there will your heart be also. She had said these words after we had gotten note from my fathers death. I read them, slowly and carefully and it seemed like I finally understood them anew. I sat down and leant my head against the rock. I thought of all which had happened here, how I had left my family alone to run after a guy who now avoided me. I thought of his beautiful figure, his smart words, and the eyes with which he had signalized me understanding when I had denied him entry. But did he really understand? He had looked so hurt that I had mistrusted him but had he always trusted me? I remembered how we had sat at the grave of Ignatius and I had asked him about his past. Do you know the grave of Ignotius Peverell? There I can explain what I mean. These had been his words to my question why he had been expelled, on what kind of magic. But he did never tell me. He told me about the Hallows and I suspected a connection between that and him being expelled but he had not told me. Maybe I was not the only one with secrets. Maybe nothing of this had been built on trust but only on calculation and the joy about how oh smart both of us were. And suddenly I knew where he was. The grave was covered by a nearby widow from another grave but this was the only place I could think of. I was not angry, just confused and hurt because I suddenly felt how it was to be mistrusted by someone you wanted to trust. I hurried over an there he was, leaning against the sunny rock on which a sun patch fell. The blonde of his hair shone in an almost celestial way. Hey., I said. He looked surprised which gave me some satisfaction. Why did you avoid me? I know I have mistrusted you but in fact you were the one keeping secrets from me all the time. I have asked you how you got expelled and you brought me here to tell me about the Hallows. Knowing how smart you are I am sorry but this seems like an actual trick to keep me from information. And up to now it worked. I added in my mind.