Chapter 6 - Ignotus Peverell

I stood in front of a rough wooden door which belonged to Bathilda Bagshoots house in which Grindelwald was. Aberforth had asked me where I had been the night before and I had told him about having practiced which was technically not a lie. Furiously he had told me that I could not just leave while Ariana was left alone but me asking my brother what he though we should life with, once the money was up if I did not find a job, had silenced him and now I was here. In my pocked I kept the small book about Durmstrang Academy which I had just finished. I knocked the door. Miss Bagshoot opened almost immediately. "Oh dear Albus I have wondered when you will finally come over to see him." I rose and eyebrow and stayed with a firm but polite greeting. She turned around. "GELLERT THERE IS SOMEONE FOR YOU." With huge eyes the slim young man appeared in the doorframe an instance after. "Well that seems urgend of you cry like that dear aunt.", he said with a smirk and I recognised how perfect he managed to just drag one edge of the mouth upwards and still make Stars dance in his eyes. "Don't you wanna come in?", he asked. "Well if you don't mind.", I said. "I would like to ask you something." "I beg you too.", he said and as our eyes met I felt the heat rising into my cheeks so I quickly stepped into the house and followed him upstairs. He pointed to the wooden ceiling. "There is a trap actually but I prefere to apperate. You are able to apperate, aren't you? Your magic seems quite virtuous." I was not all sure if that was a compliment or rather a challenge but I just smiled and turned on my heels with as much concentration as possible I vanished. I could not supress to congratulate myself in my mind because for the first time I had changed the place without making a sound. Grindelwald who had produced the usual bang looked at me with a mixture of appreciation and wonder. "How did you do that?", he asked which was the obvious proof that he had recognised it. "Just a lot of practise as the concentration has to be good enough that the change of places is as smooth and instant as possible.", I answered and turned around. Clearly we were right under the roof. There were two big windows opened to let some fresh air cool down the place. The wooden bars stabilising the house covered the ceiling. A variety of things were dangling fron the bars. There were a couple of long cloaks in a fine row, I could see some stacks of books covering different bars. Herbs and spices were carefully fixed to the wood. A single cauldron and spoons and knives and a pair of scissors dangled from some hooks, perfectly lined up. A small cupboard was wide open and single socks and a pair of pants were hanging there or thrown over the cupboard itself as if in a haste. There was a mirror with a dirty gold frame but it had been laid down and shoved right at the edge of the wall as if only placed upwards if needed. One of the two straight walls was right beneath one of the windows and bright sunlight illuminated an overcrowded bookshelf. It was cramped and the leftover books had been placed in straight but adventurous stacks all around it. An uncomfortable looking, dark chair had been covered with a pillow to allow the reader to read in the sunlight. Alongside the chair was a small desk which looked like a makeup desk as there was another mirror. Quills and ink were placed around a sheet of paper with a small, careful handwriting on it even though there were some ink spots on the paper as if written with great energy and no time to place the quill carefully on the paper. The bed was placed on the opposite wall in the darkest corner. It was untidy and only helf a thin blanked and old pillow as if sleep was clearly secondary. "It's not very tidy.", said Grindelwald but did not sound as if he bothered much about this circumstance. To me it rather seemed as it Grindelwald was not very interested in al-day-stuff like clothes or sleeping or appearance but rather in his studies, as his books were too much for the shelf but lined up carefully and the potions supplies had been clearly organised. "I don't mind.", I said just to say anything at all. He walked over to the window and lifted himself onto the frame. "Come on let's climb onto the roof. I prefer to read up there. You can barely find a better light and I like the little risk." He smiled but it faded as he recognised my face which must have been quite surprised. "Are you afraid of heights?", he asked. I shook my head which was true. I loved to ride brooms and had even been part of the Quidditch team of Griffindor. It was simply the unexpected idea of having a chitchat on the roof. "You take the lead then. I'll come.", I said and he disappeared upwards. I followed even though I felt not half as elegant as he had looked and as I had forgotten to perform the little spell for sticky feet my foot slipped a little and my knuckles turned white as I grabbed the frame. I felt my cheeks blushing as I finally mounted the roof next to the blond guy who had been waiting for me eagerly. "Well?", he said and it took me a moment to remember what I was here for. "Right.", I said as I felt the book in my pocket. "Look can I be open.", I asked. He nodded without seeming the slightest bit worried. I took a deep breath. "I have recognised some things about you and I have read a book about Durmstrang that school you were in. The term is not over yet and you are to young to have already finished still you are here. Have you been expelled?" With satisfaction I saw the surprise in his eyes but then he controlled himself again and laughed. "You must have given a close look right, haven't you? But yes I have been expelled. Is this what you came for?" I nodded. "I would like to know why.", I said. He stopped smiling and was suddenly perfectly serious. "I tried out some magic which they did not like." Durmstrang was very tolerant versus dark magic so it was either dangerous or even darker. I wondered if he was a potentially dangerous wizard but my curiousity had been awoken so I asked:" What kind of magic?" "It is hard to explain." "I want to know. I am sure I can follow you.", I said now eager to know what this clearly smart and talented guy had been up to which had him gotten suspension from school. Suddenly he placed his hand on my leg and leant forward. My body froze as I looked at the long pale but strong fingers which casually touched my pants. "I know you would understand. I think you are smart Dumbledore but it is more complex. Do you know the grave of Ignotus Peverell? There I can explain what I mean." I almost did not get the question in his sentence but I forced myself to meet his stare. "Yes. I know the grave." "Can you show me?", he asked and suddenly his eyes were gleaming with eagerness. And it was like a spark in these unlike eyes of brown and ice blue. a spark of ambition and a goal. It was some idea I did not know yet but I knew that I wanted to be a part of it. Boldly I took his hand on my leg. "Hold on.", I whispered, concentrated myself and we vanished into the brightest day.