Chapter 5 - Dragon of the night

The following morning I was tired but felt refreshed at the same time. Though none of us had managed to feed the patronus with sadbut powerful memories Grindelwald had mentioned that we could try to create the actual patronus with such a memory. We did not come to try this more than two times because the sun had been rising but I had agreed on meeting him the next night again because the curiosity would just not leave me be. Partly I was aware that we did not know one another and that it might be unwise to leave the house to my younger siblings of which one was particulary harmed. Still I did not want Gridelwald to guess anything because I had registered the intrest in his eyes when I had told him Ariana was sick and I did want to try it. "Aberforth I am going to Diagon Alley I need a book.", I informed my younger brother. "I need a book and I will be back right away." He just grumbled. I turned to Ariana who had joined me in the living room where I had been checking on my parents books but not found the one I needed. "I will be back as fast as possible Ariana. Is that okay?", I asked just to make sure I could go without worrying. She simply nodded and I suggested that this had to be enough for now. I left the house to apperate from the edges of the forest not far from our house to make sure Ariana would not be bothered by the sound. Me apperating was not very loud as I had practised to get it as quiet as possible still the sound was unmistakable and I would have to practise even more. With a slight feeling of bitterness I thought of Elphias with whom I had planned to apperate through all Europe for our study travel which would have been the best chance to learn but for now concentration was my goal. I had already apperated distances like this but it took a fair amount of concentration. I fixed on the Leaky Cauldron with all might and turned on my heal. For a second I had the ugly feeling of all the air pressed from my lungs until I finally appeared in front of the pub in the middle of London. I took a deep breath. What a feeling to be in London again. The whole city seemed to be vibrating around me, everything was busy and organised and thinking. This was the enourmous difference between sleepy Godrics Hollow and London. I drew a hood over my head as I crossed the pub. I was friends with the barkeeper and had met a couple of people here during my summer holydays and I was not keen on answering questions why I had left school before the end of term. The Alley was not busy as usually because it was just the end of the term and in the middle of the week. Without hesitation I went to the bookshop called Flourish. My amount of money was not very high but enough to buy a few books. Shortly before I entered I drew my wand and casted a nice little spell to make my beard grow a bit and conceal my face a little while I lifted the hood to occur less suspicious. "I would like to have the best book you can offer me about the complexity of patroni and a book about Durmstrang academy if you have one around.", I told the shop assistant who was not Mr Flourish himself. The girl nodded and hurried along the shelfs. Quickly she drew out four different books of which one was a thing one about the school. the other three thematised the nature of patroni. "They are all about patroni but a little different Sir. Is there a specific aspect you are looking for?" "Yes I would like to know more about the production of patroni." She nodded and her hand drifted towards the first book which looked much like a spell-assistant. I added quickly: "I am able to cast a patronus." Her eyes widened at that. "I want to find out more about the nature of this happening and about the connection between human and patronus." "You better take this then." She offered me the last book named Patroni, a mirror of the human soul and gave me a wide smile. I payed and she thanked in an overwhelming way and kept smiling. My smile as I took the book must have been a bit confuse but that was not the matter now. I could not get home fast enough to start reading and researching. I would be perfectly prepared.

We had agreed on meeting in a clearing which was familiar to me. I left the house quick and silent. When I reached the place I was glad to be the first one. Everything about Grindelwalds elegant and catlike movements and his dark figure expressed that he was a master of surprising and I would not be surprised. For some reason I had the strange feeling that he was highly intelligent. His thoughts about the patroni before had included knowledge about highest magic and some sense for it. In my imagination it felt like loosing if I was surprised by him. The clearing was almost circular with a few trees standing alone. In the middle I would always miss to see one half but the big size made it impossible to see the other side standing at the edge of the forest. Naturally I choose to climb the tree in the middle. As it was summer it was covered in leaves all over. In my childhood I used to climb these trees a lot. To make it easier and to spare the louder apperating I performed a nice little spell to get my shoes more stickier and dragged myself into the branches. Up high with a perfect view over the whole clearing I made myself comfortable and waited.