Chapter 2 | secrets.

Looking up at the giant living T rex skeleton, you were rather tense. Larry assured you he was safe, but you couldn't help but be a bit worried. This was a dinosaur after all.

Before you knew it, you were sitting at the front desk, surrounded by living wax figured and miniatures, a few taxedemied animals too. All of them, alive and moving. And rather than grilling you for accidentally trespassing on private properly after closing hours, they were all crowded around your sketch book flipping through the pages.

"I told you, they look almost real don't they?" Ahkmenrah said, being the one to mention the drawings.

"I must say, they're exceptionally talented" Teddy agreed.

That was... a whole president. A Pharaoh and a president liked your art, you felt oddly honoured.

"Well, yes they're talented, but let's focus on the fact they've accidentally trespassed" Larry cut in.

It was all eyes on you, all these living historical figures had a gaze that felt like they were looking right through you.

"They didn't mean to, it was purely an accident. Surely they shouldn't be in any trouble for an accident?" Sacagawea said, surprisingly defending you.

"I'm not saying they're in trouble, I know it was just an accident. But they know the secret now, and we need to make sure they don't spill it" Larry said.

"Who'd believe em? Pretty sure if they told anyone that wax figures came to life and talked to em, they'd be thrown in the loony bin!" Jedediah replied.

Wow, even a the cowboy was defending you. You'd known these people less than an hour and they were already being nice to you. Maybe they felt bad for you, you were sitting alone the whole afternoon drawing. It probably seemed a bit pathetic to a historical figure you were all alone and so distracted you accidentally got locked in the museum.

"If they make a vow to not say anything, then what's the harm in letting them stay? We never see new people past dark. It's nice to have someone new to talk to. Plus, Jed makes a good point. Who'd believe them?" Octavius explained.

Larry was silent a moment, he didn't want to punish you for a mere mistake. And while it was a worrying thought someone from outside the museum knew the secret, Jed made a point. Who'd believe you?

"Alright, they can stay. And I suppose if they want to come back to work on their art project they can. But (y/n), seriously don't tell anyone. We cannot have that tablet stolen" Larry agreed.

"I won't. Who'd believe me? Plus... this the most exiting thing to happen to me ever so I'm not throwing that away. My life is boring as hell up until now" you promised.

"I'm sure your life must be at least a little interesting! Tell us about it, everyone has a story to tell" Teddy said.

They wanted to hear your life story? Well there wasn't much to talk about. And you weren't about to tell all the gritty details to people you just met. But a little background might be good for them to get to know you.

"Well... I'm 20, I go to art school and take visual art and music. I went to a regular high-school, lived by the river until I moved into the city for university. I'm really not that interesting" you rambled.

"I'd say moving into the city is pretty interesting, have you enjoyed it?" Teddy asked.

"Yeah, it's been fun so far. I do miss the silence of the area by the river though"

"You're doing visual art and music? What instruments to you play?" Sacagawea asked.

You didn't expect them to find you interesting. But then again, you had a modern life. Modern life must be very different and interesting to people from all the way back in ancient times.

"I did piano as a kid, I can still play it fairly decent. But I moved to violin as a teen and have done it ever since" you replied.

"You should bring it! We'd love to hear it" she added.

Maybe you should, you'd already decided you definitely wanted to come back past dark. And you'd already started your art project here so you'd have to come back eventually anyway. The exhibits kept asking you questions, wanting to know what modern art school is like and how moving from the river to the city was. You answered the best you could, you didn't find your life that interesting. But they clearly did.

They'd requested to see more of your art, hear your music and read your writing. Which you were willing to do if it meant getting to come back and see the museum alive again. The questions just kept coming, and you found yourself having a lot of fun comparing modern life to old times. Although there was one person who stayed silent.

Ahkmenrah just listened. He took in all the information, since everyone else was asking the same questions he'd ask. He simply gazed and listened. He hadn't met someone new since he got let out of the sarcophagus and met Larry. It'd been a while, and he was intrigued with a new person. And even better, they were part of the arts. Back in his time, art was very important. Someone had to design the carvings and portraits on the walls of tombs, the sarcophagus decor, the statues and totems. Someone had to play the music at banquets, someone had to make songs for the gods.

Art was important to the world, even if the modern world under appreciated it. He liked art, he had fond memories of drawing on parchment as a child.

So meeting a modern artist was very interesting to him. He wanted to know more, he was always on the peruse for knowledge. Back when he was being held at Cambridge, he'd sneak out of his sarcophagus and just read. Anything he could get his hands on. Not only did it educate him on the modern (at the time) day, he got to learn about modern art practices. He always found those who could draw realism exceptionally talented, being able to replace real life to closely surely had to be a gift from the gods.

"I suppose I'd describe my style as... classical. I learnt classical art my first year and it stuck. Painting and drawing from sight is a skill I've been working on for years, and how to use the tactics of the classical artists. And my music I try and match to the aesthetic of my art, I want my music to sound the way my art looks if that makes sense..." you described, upon being asked about your style.

He understood what you meant, and he loved the way you described it. You seemed so creatively intelligent, he desperately wanted you to come back every night just to learn more about you. Finally he spoke up, suggesting something he hoped would bring you back to the museum.

"Maybe you could give us art classes? It seems fun" he asked.

The suggestion was met with agreement from the others. Looks like you had a little side project on your plate now.

"I mean yeah, if you want. We'd need supplies, and some small pencils for the minis... but it could be done" you agreed.

Everyone then turned to Larry, looking for his approval too.

"Alright, I'll see what I can find. I'm sure there's papers and pencils in the storage closets" he agreed.

While Larry enjoyed his job, he'd be lying if he said it wasn't absolutely chaotic. There were days where he'd sit there and think 'I'm not paid enough for this', as the minis sped around the museum in the RC car knocking everything over. This was the calmest he'd seen the exhibits in a while.

Being stuck in the same building for years in end did make things get boring after a while, and finding entertainment meant causing chaos sometimes. Maybe art classes would mean no knocking priceless artefacts over and a calmer and entertained museum.

This seemed like a win for everyone, you got to come back and relish in the excitement of being in on this secret, the exhibits would get to do something new and fun, and Larry could catch a break for once.

You might not be able to come every night, you needed sleep and had classes. But you'd definitely be coming back to learn more about everyone, and to teach them how to draw.

Ahkmenrah was particularly exited to have you teach him the ways of the classical modern artist.