Chapter 11 | the tablet.

It seems since you've been coming to the museum every other night, you'd even re-adjusted your sleep schedule to fit it. You'd sleep in the afternoon rather than at night on days you came to visit, and after a while it became second nature and you did feel that tired while hanging around with the historical figures anymore.

So you were full of energy when you skipped into the museum tonight, with plans to introduce charcoal into your little art classes. You wanted to give them a little challenge, since they'd been doing so well. After pondering on a subject for while, it dawned on you that the famous tablet would be perfect for a challenge. It was extremely detailed, yet had simple shapes and shine. You figured you might try and draw it too, since it was one of the few artefacts you hadn't drawn yet.

Of course, you had to ask the owner of said tablet for permission first, and you found Ahkmenrah heading down the stairs to join everyone when you walked in. His cape trailed behind him on the stairs creating that regal effect that fit him so well.

"Ahk!" You smiled.

Looking over the railing, he smiled back, glad ti see you again.

"(Y/n)!" He replied.

"Can I borrow the tablet as a drawing subject tonight? Promise I won't damage it or anything"

"Of course, you're trustworthy. Plus I'd love to see your rendition of it"

Turning to head back up the stairs, you both zipped back to his exhibit to go fetch the tablet. It hung on the wall next to the informational plaque, just above the sarcophagus. You'd seen it many times, but now you were actually taking the time to give it a closer look. You didn't understand anything on it, of course. It was all in a long dead alphabet. But you did notice a few symbols like the eye of Horus and that bird hieroglyph that showed up all over ancient Egyptian artefacts.

One of the inscriptions seemed to be more polished than the rest, the researchers who studied it probably wanted a closer look at it.

"That part there, that's my name in hieroglyphs. Hence why it's all over my artefacts, everything in here was labeled at mine" Ahkmenrah pointed out.

𓄿𓉔𓎡𓅓𓂝𓈖𓂋𓄿𓉔

Bird, swirl, dish, another bird, snake, squiggles, hole, bird, swirl. Good to know. Maybe you'd need that information one day.

"I'm guessing that bird is an A sound since it's in the places an A would be in, I bet if I really tried I could probably memorise it" you muttered.

"It's actually not that hard when you know the difference between similar symbols" Ahkmenrah replied.

"Well maybe drawing it will teach me some ancient Egyptian-"

You reached out to pick up the tablet, thinking nothing of it. But when you put your hand on it, a sudden burning sting shot through your arm and you immediately pulled back, yelping in pain.

"AH! SON OF A-" you screeched, shaking your hand.

Ahk looked at the tablet, then back at you. It'd NEVER done that before, he has zero clue what just happened.

"What the- are you ok?" He asked.

"Yeah, that just stung for a moment. Like a super duper static electric shock..." you replied.

You opened your hand to look for any damage, there was nothing on the back of your hand. But when you turned it over to the front, and looked at your palm... something was definitely different.

It wasn't a burn, or an electric shock. It was... a symbol? It resembled the eye of Horus, but wasn't the same. Rather than the two lines at the bottom, it was one winged line at the side. It turned red and purple like you'd been bruised, and faded into a slightly darker tone than your skin. It looked similar to henna tattoo ink, but when you rubbed it with your other hand, it didn't smudge or come off.