Chapter 38 | interview

You'd heard many stories about the museums curator. You hadn't ever crossed paths as he worked during the day, and you only never came to the museum at night. But now you were qualified in art, and Larry had put in a word for you, you were finally going to meet him about a job at the museum.

Funny enough, Dr McPhee had actually seen the exhibits alive before. But he was under the impression everyone was acting and the non humans were animatronic thanks to Larry's master excuse making. So while he may not realise that Ahk was the guy inside the sarcophagus, you did wonder if he'd recognise him as the 'actor' that played Ahkmenrah.

"It's so odd seeing everyone... frozen..." Ahk muttered, looking up at the completely still T. rex.

"I know, I'm used to you all running around and talking" you replied.

Walking through the halls to the office you passed versions exhibits completely silent and still, visitors looking up at them and reading their plaques. And to think these statues were people with personalities and lives when the sun went down...

Arriving at the doors to the office, you couldn't help but be a bit nervous. You'd heard stories about this guy, apparently he was hard to please and a bit snarky sometimes. Usually that wouldn't bother you, you can be snarky too. But when you're trying to get hired? It was a bit nerve racking.

"You're bound to get the job, there's no one better for it" Ahk assured you, giving your hand a squeeze.

"Let's hope so" you replied.

Knocking on the door, it was silent a moment before they opened and revealed the museums curator.

"I suppose you're the art student mr Daley told me about then?" He said.

"Yes, that's me! (Y/n), nice to meet you. This is my boyfriend he'll just be waiting outside for me to finish" you replied.

McPhee narrowed his eyes at Ahkmenrah, the man looking familiar to him.

"Have me met before..?" He asked.

Ahk tried not to snicker, knowing full well that in many ways the answer was yes. He was the guy in the sarcophagus and the 'actor' for the night tours. But it was probably best he did know that.

"I don't believe so, although I have been here a few times so..." Ahk replied.

"Ah, maybe I've just seen you in passing. Anyway, come in mx (l/n)" McPhee replied.

"Good luck" Ahk gave you a smile.

You stepped into the office, taking the seat opposite the desk. The whole place was covered in books, smaller exhibits put away for storage and on the wall were all his university diplomas.

"So, you're wanting the art curator job?" He asked.

You handed him your resume to look through, and he seemed to be particularly interested in your credentials.

"Yes, I just graduated with art degrees and think this would be the perfect job for me" you replied.

"Hmm, several awards... good grades, diplomas... clearly you're experienced. And you're the one who drew the depiction of Ahkmenrah for the exhibit yes?"

"Yes that was me. Historical art has always been fascinating to me"

He flipped through some more pages of your resume, seeming decently impressed with your accomplishments. Although it was hard to tell, he was definitely... picky.

"Our art area is small at the moment, but with the expansion of the space exhibit we've had more visitors and thus more income. Our next goal is to expand the art section, if you get the job you'll have the responsibility of sourcing and archiving art for the exhibit. Everything will have to go through me of course, but for the most part it would be completely your responsibility. You'd have to come in on weekdays and from time to time work long hours. You think you're prepared for such responsibility?" McPhee asked.

"I'm ready for it. It won't be tedious or boring to me, I'd enjoy tracking down works to display. And if new artefacts are uncovered and available for museums to own, I'll be up at the crack of dawn to send in requests. I want to see the exhibit grow as much as you do" you replied.

"Well it's good to see people interested in the actual job and not just the pay. You'd have an office, for the most part you'd be working in there. Although maintaining the actual exhibits themselves is also part of the job, so before opening it'd be your responsibility to dust them off and make sure they're presentable. As well as answer visitors questions from time to time"

"I'm willing to do all of that. It seems really fun, getting to work in a a museum is one of the coolest jobs you can have really"

Maybe it was just your wishful thinking, but he seemed impressed. The interview went on for a while long as you discussed pay rates, responsibilities and working hours. It was all stuff you would be able and willing to do. You had weekends off, holidays over Christmas and New Years as well as public holidays. The pay was enough to live comfortably and save a little extra. And of course the job itself was full of fun tasks. Sure the paperwork might get a bit boring from time to time, but buying works off famous artists and collectors of old art would be fun. Getting to create a collection and help design the layout and display of the art area was a task you wouldn't be complaining about.

"Any other questions?" McPhee asked.

"Nope I think that's everything. Thank you for considering me" you replied.

"You're a strong candidate, I'll call you in a few weeks with the news"

You hoped you got it, a few other people had signed up for the job too. But hopefully with your awards under your belt and Larry putting in a good word, you'd have an advantage.

Shaking hands, you left the office and quickly Ahk was off the nearest bench and over to you to ask how it went.

"So?" He asked.

"I'll have to wait and see, although I think it went well" you replied.

"You'll definitely get the job. There's no way you can't"

"You're certainly optimistic"

"You're the only correct option. I know you'll get it"

He placed a kiss on your forehead and took your hand to do a little bit of a snoop around the museum while you were here. Observing everyone in their frozen state. As per usual when you came to the museum, you ended up drifting down the halls to Ahk's exhibit. There were only a few people inside at the moment, all of them looking down at the sarcophagus in just case and reading the informational plaque.

"What would they do if they knew the guy inside that sarcophagus was right behind them?" He whispered to you.

"Probably freak out. And then wonder why the mummified pharaoh is actually a pretty undead boy" you snickered.

"Hey... if I'm going to be undead and living with you until we end up together eternally thanks to the tablet and all... should I get a job or something?"

He still didn't even legally exist. No ID of any kind or any bank accounts and medical records. So right now he couldn't even get one, you'd need to do some slightly illegal stuff to get him an ID without a birth certificate or living family.

"I mean we'd need to get you some ID first. But you don't have to if you don't want too, if I get this job I'll be making enough for both of us to live comfortably" you replied.

"I feel like I'd get a bit bored after a while though. I don't mind being a... what do you call it? House husband?" He replied.

"Yeah, a house husband. Even though we aren't married yet"

"I don't mind being one, but I'd want something to do while you're at work you know?"

Well... he did have some interest in archeology since he found that fossil.

"Well you could go to university for archeology, Egyptology or ancient history. Then we could both work in museums, and while you're studying you'd still get time at home to relax here and there" you suggested.

If he was going to be living modern, he couldn't exactly get a job as a pharaoh. Even though he had past experience as one and would be a prefect hire.

"Hmm... that sounds kind of fun. Maybe we can both be historians, just different kinds" he pondered.

An ancient being in a job about ancient things would be perfect for him. If he wanted to live modem with you, it might just be the right path for him.