Chapter 13 | modern.

It was like watching a curious child. He was amazed by the small things, like your lava lamp and the toaster. Being ancient and only having been exposed to Cambridge and the museum he did know a fair bit about the modern world, but not all of it.

It was amusing to watch him wander around your apartment, pressing buttons and picking things up to examine them.

Eventually he came to your CD rack, where he sat looking through all the different ones you had. He knew what a CD was, Larry had explained them when he bought a DVD to watch. So he knew one played movies and one played songs, but he'd never actually seen an album before.

"I know most people use streaming services nowadays, on their computers or phones. But I like collecting CDs" you explained.

"You have so many..." he muttered, reading the track list on the back of one of them.

"I've been collecting them since I was a kid, hence why there's some kids nursery rhyme ones in the mix"

You were still baffled by the whole situation, you had no idea how he was alive during the day. And you were slightly on edge something would happen and he's turn back into a mummy on your lounge room floor. But so far he seemed to be fine, completely normal as if it was still night. Still in his usual pharaoh gear, he was definitely standing out against all your modern stuff. The messy art desk behind him made him look rather out of place, but he was obviously entertained by all your devices.

"You feel ok? No dying or anything?" You checked.

"I feel fine, honestly I'm not sure what's going on but I don't mind it. I haven't seen the sun in so long. Although I'll admit I'm a bit tired, I've been awake much longer than usual" he replied.

"Take a nap if you want. I'm sure I've got something that'll fit you for pyjamas"

He thought about it, part of him wanted to keep poking around modern things, but he was also getting sleepy.

"Hmm, maybe a short one. I still want to learn modern things" he replied.

"I'll wake you up in a few hours then. I'll see if I can figure out what the hell is going on in the meantime"

You dug around your closet for something that would fit him, and ended up finding a button down shirt that was too big for you, you'd used it as part of a Halloween costume a few years back, but would probably fit him like a nightgown. He hung up all his robes on some coat hangers and put them on the back of your door, and you allowed him to take a nap in your bed with the windows tightly drawn to keep the sun out. Maybe if he properly slept, for the first time in years, something would happen or change with the tablet. At this point you were grasping at straws looking for any solution.

You went right to your computer, hoping to find anything you possibly could on the symbol on your hand. Trying as many keywords as you could like 'ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs' and 'eye of Horus symbol' you looked high and low for even an image that resembled it.

An eye, with winged eyeliner. That's how you'd describe it. Not quite the eye of Horus but similar. Surely it would have to show up on a carving or painting somewhere right? The tablet gave it to you, and the tablet was made in ancient Egypt so it HAD to be some kind of hieroglyph.

You'd scrolled so far you'd ended up on the 7th page of google, and found nothing. It all just lead you back to the eye of Horus. The eye of Horus represents well-being and protection, so if the symbol on your hand was somehow related to it you wouldn't be too fussed to have some kind of well-being spell on you. But it just didn't look the same, it couldn't be the eye of Horus.

"Come on... give me something, anything..." you sighed.

You went back to the search bar, and this time typed in 'hand symbol myths' hoping that something might show up.