Chapter 31 | life finds a way

Like the supportive dad he was, your father was fast to get down to the city to see your portrait in person and meet your mysterious new boyfriend. The weekend came quick, and he was texting you he'd be off the train by 5 the moment he was in the city.

You'd told him to come around the side of the museum and you'd let him in. At 5:50 exactly.

At this point you were starting to think you should get Larry a massive thank you gift for him always letting you in and allowing you to bring an extra. The mad absolutely did not get paid enough to wrangle a rowdy museum all night, every night AND deal with magic shenanigans. But he insisted that it was ok, and that the museum exhibits and those connected to them were his friends and he'd be glad to help them out.

Ahk still thought you and him should get Larry something nice that Christmas though, as a thank you.

The sun was just on the horizon when your dad knocked on the side door to the museum and you let him in, his timing perfect.

"Hey kiddo!" He smiled.

"Daaadddd you made it!" You replied, the two of you sharing a hug.

"How's my little artist going?"

"Definitely very good, I have A LOT to tell you tonight..."

A lot was an understatement, he was about to have his whole life turned upside down. But first, it was probably a good idea to fill him in on the whole being allowed in the museum after closing deal. You lead him to the main entrance where Larry was at the front desk waiting on the sun to vanish behind the horizon.

"Dad, Larry. Larry, dad. He's the night guard who puts up with my bullshit and let's us in" you introduced.

"Hi, thanks for letting me gate crash" your dad said, shaking the guards hand.

"It's fine, I've got a kid to. I'd want to see his winning portrait as well" Larry replied.

"Oh you do? How old?"

"14 now, that angsty teenager stage"

"Oh yes I remember that..." your dad teased, giving you a glare.

You rolled your eyes and gently whacked him. You weren't THAT bad as a teen, a little emo sure but not that bad.

"So uh... there's kind of something you should know about this place by the way" you said.

He gave you a confused look, what could be so special about a regular museum.

"You see, my mysterious boyfriend you'll be meeting his currently in the Egyptian wing waiting for his own parents to wake up. Which will be..." you began.

Larry look a look at his watch.

"...3 minutes" he said.

"Wow good timing. This whole museum kinda wakes up at night, you'll see what I mean. See that T-Rex?"

Your dad turned to look at Rexy, frozen in place. He was confused, what on earth were you talking about?

"Yeah?" He replied.

"Don't freak out when he moves. He's nice" you said.

Your dad was under the impression you meant it was animatronic or something, and as the clock quickly ticked down you and Larry watched on for the reaction of your father. As soon as the sun dropped behind the horizon, right before his eyes, Rexy moved.

Stepping back slightly in shock, your dad stared up at the now living T-Rex skeleton as it stepped down from its platform and immediately went up to you to stiff the new person.