Chapter 32 | what the future holds

That was it, you'd explained everything. From the moment you saw Ahkmenrah rise from his coffin to right now as you sat across from your dad in the Egyptian wing.

"Wow... I mean... I wasn't expecting any of this but I can't say I'm mad. I mean you've got everything planned out, you've secured a life partner, you're on your way to an art career... I'm proud of you kiddo" your father smiled.

He was both in disbelief at the entire situation and very, very happy for you. All a father wants is to see their child grow up to be happy, healthy and following their dreams. And you were doing just that. It just so happened to be with a 4000 year old pharaoh.

"Thanks. I'm glad you're cool with everything, I mean it's kind of a wild situation" you replied.

"It definitely is, but it's not a bad one. Plus, you're well on your way to the career you've always dreamed of. I mean look at the portrait! You're incredible (y/n), I have no idea how you're my kid. How did someone as incredible as you come out of my mediocre self?"

"Oi, don't say that. You're mediocre at art yes, but incredible at being a dad"

Ahkmenrah and his family were pretty quick to approve of your dad, liking how proud he was of you and how much he clearly loved you. Family was important to them, so important they made the tablet to stay together forever. So you having a good dad was important to them.

"Plus, have you seen that man's drip? Anyone that can score a man dressed in gold and beads is clearly a top tier human" your father joked, gesturing to Ahk.

The pharaoh snickered, liking your dads sense of humour.

"Modern clothes aren't nearly as glamorous as my beads, I could never part with them" Ahk replied.

"Yeah I'll admit your outfit is pretty cool, especially the cape, capes are fun" you said.

Ahkmenrah was determined to make you the outfit he'd designed for you as ancient Egyptian royalty, when he had the time and you'd taught him how to use a sewing machine, he promised that was his next present to you. Something to match his pharaoh attire. You were his royal lover after all.

"You should make the cat some beads too" your dad suggested, Bastet the museum cat basking under the light over the sarcophagus.

The museum cat was not just a hit with the guests but the exhibits too. Especially Ahkmenrah, he ADORED the cat.

"Oh we should! It'd be fitting for a black museum cat to be wearing a collar resembling a Wesekh" Ahk agreed.

You were so glad everyone was getting along, things were running so smoothly now you'd figured out what was up with the tablet. All you had to do was graduate university and start your job as an art curator and you were on with the rest of your life with Ahkmenrah.

"Ok, ok. Yes let's make the cat a Wesekh, but back to the whole family topic for a moment. I think it's best we keep this whole thing between us. And maybe my grandparents... the rest of the family don't need to know. The museums after dark shenanigans are meant to be secret after all" you said.

"I think that's a good idea, this can be our little secret. As far as the rest of the family is aware, Ahkmenrah is named AFTER the pharaoh, not actually the Pharaoh" your dad agreed.

"I can just say I'm an Egyptologist, that'll make sense" Ahk added.

It'd certainly explain his extensive knowledge on the era that's for sure.

"A pretty impressive one too, even being able read hieroglyphs and speak Coptic. Which you totally gotta teach me by the way" you said.

"Gladly, I'm honoured you'd learn my language for me" Ahk replied.

"Anything for you my king"

It was so clear to your dad that you and Ahkmenrah weren't kidding when you said you were wildly in love and bound by the tablet. Soulmates almost. He had faith you'd never separate, and probably never even fight. The love you shared was practically dripping off you, in the way you smiled at each other and gazed at each other lovingly. He was just so happy to see his little kiddo grow up to find the love of their life.

"With everything explained, how about we show you the rest of the museum?" You said.

"Oh yes! I haven't been here in years. A lot has changed, new exhibits and such" your father replied.

"Ahk you've done the night tours before, care right step into your guide mode?"

"Gladly, welcome to the museum of natural history. Please refrain from flash photography and raise hands when asking questions, we shall exit the Egyptian wing and head right into the Roman wing" Ahkmenrah rambled.

You couldn't help but giggle, such professionalism even when it wasn't an official tour. You followed along, watching Ahkmenrah and your dad get along as if they'd known each other years. Ahk directing to an exhibit and your dad replying with questions about the artefacts. It just made you so happy to see everyone that meant something to you getting along and accepting each other.

You felt complete, like your life was closing an old chapter and opening a new exiting one.

When you made it to the newest part of the museum, the space exhibit, you were eager to see it done. It had just been finished up that morning, and while it wasn't open to the public yet, it was open to the staff and exhibits that crept around at night.

"And this... actually I'm not that informed about, it's brand new" Ahkmenrah said.

"I've heard lots about this exhibit, the media seem to be exited about it opening" your dad replied.

Opening the doors, you stepped inside to see the final product of the months long project. The domed roof, the projection system, the seating, the plaques on the walls, the models of planets and space shuttles. All of them were lit up by display lights but the room was still dim in order to allow for the projector to work.

"Oh wow! They really went all out" your dad said.

"I'm impressed, this looks amazing" you added.

You and Ahk had no idea how to work the projector system yet, that was a task for another night. But it was amazing seeing the final product of all the building that had been done over the months.

"This will be incredible, Larry must show us how to work everything tomorrow night. Hopefully by the the staff will have told him the details" Ahkmenrah said, looking up at the domed ceiling in awe.

"It'll be a perfect date spot, right under the galaxy" you replied.

That it would be, and Ahkmenrah was already planning to learn how the system worked as soon as possible so he could give you one hell of a beautiful date.