Chapter 12 | glimpses.

There was no answer to your mysterious hand tattoo so far. The only thing that had changed since you got it was the fact your portrait was sent off to the judges to be put up on display and judged. Which was hardly important to your hand, it was exiting though of course.

It was one of your late classes today, so you couldn't go into the museum. You'd wrapped your hand up in bandages to cover the mysterious mark, and gotten a few questions from your classmates. You just said a skin condition had flared up and left it at that, it seemed plausible enough no one really batted an eye. But when you got home you couldn't stop looking at the mark. You used that hand to do everything after all, you were constantly seeing. It was driving you nuts not knowing what it was, it could be a curse for all you knew.

But you needed to continue on as normal until you had answers, you had a life to live.

The night wasn't very interesting, you just finished up some class work and took a much needed shower before going to bed. The warmth of the night as the seasons changed made you switch over to your shorter summer pyjamas recently, and it was much more comfortable in the new weather. Thanks to that you'd fallen asleep rather quickly and easily, and had no clue that mark on your hand was softly growling while you were unconscious.

But the effects of it certainly made themselves clear.

It wasn't really a dream per se, there were no images or movements. But more like sounds, at first it sounded like violin almost and the part of your mind that was still conscious wondered if a ghost had picked up your violin and started playing it. But soon the sound morphed into a strange almost ethereal noise. It wasn't bad, nor scary. Actually rather relaxing, like an orchestra serenading you in the distance. It was so hard to describe, especially while you were fast asleep. But the noises seemed welcoming like a siren luring you in for a life of love under the sea. Mesmerising and pretty, you didn't want to wake up from the beautiful tune.

But the shrill ringing of your phone woke you.

Jolting awake, the beautiful melodies in your head vanishing as the world around you processed in your mind, you looked at the clock and saw it was 5am, way too early for you. Who would be calling you this early?

Picking up your phone you squinted at the bright screen, and when your eyes adjusted you were met with the caller ID 'Larry museum guy'.

"What?" You muttered, answering the phone "Larry it's 5am-"

"(Y/n), you need to get here now"

"Ahkmen?"

"I'm serious I think it has something to do with the tablet. Everyone else is frozen in place as usual but I'm still alive" He explained.

What? How did...

You opened the curtains, seeing the sun peaking up from the horizon. Sure enough the exhibits should be freezing in place by now, and yet Ahk was still alive? How?

"What the- how?" You muttered.

"I don't know but the museum opens in a few hours and we need to figure something out, Larry is already freaking out about the mummy not being in his sarcophagus at opening time" Ahk said.

"Ok, I'll be right over!"

You didn't even think, you just put some shoes and a jacket on and got right in your bike, zooming down the streets as the sun slowly began to rise and the early workers drove to work. Luckily the museum isn't super far away from where you lived, so you were there in a 30 minute ride. Slipping in via the side door, sure enough all the exhibits were frozen in place, back to being wax and plastic. But in his exhibit, Ahkmenrah and Larry stood over the tablet resting on his sarcophagus looking for an answer.