Chapter 37 | graduation

Ahkmenrah had never seen a graduation ceremony before, he was practically buzzing with excitement the whole morning you were getting ready.

He made sure your graduation robes were neat, that the tassel on your hat was in the right position, and kissed your cheek when you parted ways so he could sit in the audience and you could go to your spot by the stage with the rest of the class. And of course your dad had to come watch this too, he sat with Ahk and the two wouldn't stop talking about how proud they were of you.

This was it! You'd finally made it through primary school, high school and now university. By the end of the day you'd have your diploma, all the credentials you'd need to be the museums art curator and the next chapter of your life would start. You felt so accomplished this year, winning an art award, graduating, finding an undead pharaoh to date... so much had happened and it was all turning out to be so amazing.

It was a bit boring having to sit through the long speeches, and all the other students from other classes getting their diplomas. But finally your professor took the podium to address the arts department.

"I want to start by congratulating each and every one of you on your achievements, and wish you all luck on your journey forward. This year has been a great one for the arts department, with the new wing of the building being finished and the high grades from every student in the course. One of our own students even had their art displayed in a museum and won an award for it, showing just his talented and dedicated our students are..." she began.

You weren't expecting the nod to your achievement there, so you were a little surprised but quite proud of yourself. You looked over at the crowd scanning for Ahk, seeing he had the biggest smile upon hearing the mention of your achievements.

What did you do to deserve him? He was so shamelessly proud of you.

"This years students have been some of the most talented and hard working ones I've ever had the pleasure of teaching. I truly hope they achieve all of their dreams, because they deserve each and every one of them. And I hope one day I walk into an art gallery and see their work displayed along with the greats like Van Gough and Picasso. Congratulations to the entire arts department, on all of your achievements"

With some applause from the crowd, they finally moved onto handing out diplomas for the art kids. You waited for your name to be called and when it was you were quick to head up the steps of the stage and take your diploma, shaking your professors and and posing for the photo that was taken for every student. You could see Ahk in the crowd, massive smile, lovesick eyes, so proud of you. You gave him a smile, only making his smile brighter.

After another long while of waiting again for the rest of the students the final section of the ceremony began, the awards. There were many to get though with such a large graduating class this year. Awards for improvement, performance, dedication to the university etc.

You'd mentally checked out a little, as the ceremony was long and there was a lot of talking about things that didn't really concern you, but something did snap you out if it...

"For the arts department: the award for best performing student goes to... (y/n) (l/n)"

You perked your again, shocked. Another award? You were on a roll this year! You got up again and went up to the strange to happily accept it.

Now you had two fancy bits of paper in frames to hang up and put on your resume. There was no way you'd NOT get the art curator job now.

When the ceremony finally wrapped up, you wove through the crowd of people looking for Ahk and your dad. Although it didn't take long to find them with Ahk calling your name to catch your attention. He ran up to you and pulled you into a tight hug, spinning you around and kissing your cheek.

"Another award? Darling I'm so proud of you! You're the best artist to have ever walked this earth, I swear of it!" He smiled.

"Thanks, I'm kinda surprised I got another award actually" you replied.

"You deserve it, you deserve everything you've worked so hard for"

Finally putting you back on your feet and loosening his death grip, you were only free for a moment before you got snatched into another hug by your dad this time.

"My little kiddo is well and truly all grown up now! I'm proud of you (y/n), you've done so well" he complimented.

"If it weren't for you giving me all those study hacks I'd be suffering in textbooks" you replied.

"Even then you'd still have passed with your skills. Now come on stand back a bit so I can take photos"

You playfully groaned, of course he bought the camera. He was such a photo proud dad, always having to take a million photos of all your achievements and stick them up on the wall. And maybe brag to the rest of the family about how cool his kid was from time to time.

By the time he'd filled up the memory card with pictures of you and your fancy papers, you and Ahkmenrah, you and him, and several accidental blurry shots of the ground, it was late and getting dark.

And your dad being your dad, insisted in taking you out for a celebratory dinner. So you texted Larry you'd be a bit late to the museum that night, and set off for dinner. Deciding on the Thai place you and Ahk passed when you ran that errand for Larry all those months ago. It smelt so good you couldn't stop thinking about it, now was the perfect excuse to try it.

Needless to say you racked up quite the bill with how much you ate, the food was just that good. Not that your dad minded, it was special dinner after all. And finally by 10pm you made it to the museum, still in your graduation gown with your two fancy papers to show off.

"(Y/n)! Good to see you again, how was graduation?" Teddys voice boomed from across the hall as you approached each other.

"Pretty good, some boring parts but otherwise good" you said.

"They got another award!" Ahk jumped in, wanting to flex you to everyone.

"By god, another one? You're just collecting them at this point!" Teddy replied.

That caught the attention of some of the other exhibits like Sacajawea and the minis, Larry came along soon after noticing a small crowd and hoping it wasn't something broken. They all got a good hawk at your diploma and award, congratulating you and looking forward to you officially joining the museum.

"Sooo now I'm fully qualified, I suppose I'll be meeting the ever so infamous McPhee soon?" You asked Larry.

"I'm putting in a word for you, no doubt about it. You'll make the perfect art curator as the art section expands. Although fair warning... he can be a bit uh- snarky" Larry replied.

"Don't worry I can be just as snarky"

You couldn't wait. Soon your life would be surrounded with art, the museum and of course, Ahkmenrah. This was all you could have ever wanted in life. A job you love, people you love and a romance you adored more than life itself. You'd have to thank the tablet for its help in this whole situation in the first place.