Chapter 19

I sat emotionlessly at my desk. I had tried to talk to Marcus but, everytime I even came near him he would walk away before I had a chance to say anything.

I felt drained. I hadn't been able to tell him how I felt and now he wouldn't let me.

***Flashback***

"Marcus! I need to talk to you!" I raced at the boy and stopped in front of him. He glared at me. "Apparently not. Just go away."

He pushed past me and stormed off. I stared after him and tried to swallow the lump in my throat. "Marcus, please..."

He didn't turn around.

***Flashback ends***

I put my head in my hands and closed my eyes to try and erase the painful encounter from earlier that day. I hadn't really talked to Cally either. She'd met me in the hallway and asked how it went.

All I said was that I had given up and to drop the subject. After all these years my parents had finally done something to ruin my life for good. It was over and it was all their fault.

"No, it's not... You should never have thought you could ever be happy in the first place..."

My eyes popped open and I sat up. I looked around but, I didn't see anyone talking to me. I frowned and turned back to the front again. I thought someone had said something to me...

The day passed in a blur. I didn't talk to Cally much and I spent most of my free time between classes in the bathroom trying to clean up my face. My eyes were puffy and swollen and I was sure everyone could tell I'd been crying. Not that anyone cared.

I came out of the bathroom for the fifth time and walked towards science. Cally was waiting for me as I sat down without a word. She shuffled nervously. "Eliot, I think you should go rest. Why don't you go to the nurse's office."

I shrugged. "I'm fine."

She frowned. "Are not. Come on. I'll go with you."

She pulled me out of the room and told the teacher that she'd be back. We walked down to the nurse's office and she opened the door. "Mrs. Peters. Are you here?"

The nurse, Mrs. Peters, walked out of the back room. "Oh, hello, Cally. What did you need?"

"My friend isn't feeling well. Can he stay here until school gets out?" She asked.

I stood quietly, not caring if I stayed here or went back to class. The nurse looked me up and down and smiled. "Of course. I'll give you a hall pass so you can get back to class without trouble."

Cally took the pass and told me to wait here until she came to get me later. I only nodded and followed the nurse to one of the rooms. She told me to lay down and I watched her leave.

I sat down and stared out the window. This was a waste of time. I wasn't sick and I it was useless for me to skip class because of something so stupid.

"It's not stupid... You're stupid for feeling like this..."

I turned to the door and frowned. "Hello?"

No one replied and I started to worry. This was the second time I'd heard that voice. It was unnerving. I shook it off as best I could and layed down.

I didn't sleep though. I stayed awake for the next hour waiting to go home and deal with my sick parents. Finally, Cally came to get me and we walked out together.

"You need some distractions. Let's go have lunch." She said smiling at me.

I shrugged. "Sure." I glanced at the staricase and paused. "I'll meet you outside. I need to do something first."

She frowned but, nodded and walked towards the doors. I waited until she was gone before I walked up the steps, heading for the roof. I opened the door and walked to the rail.

It was still cold outside and I wrapped myself tighter in my jacket. There was some snow on the roof's floor and I stared at it sadly.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

I jumped at the sound of the voice again. "Who's there? I'm serious this isn't funny." I said, slightly annoyed. I looked around.

"Just look at that view. It's amazing, right?"

My head reflexively turned to look out over the town. I could just see the city not too far away. "What...?"

"It's like a movie. So high up like this and looking out over everything." It took a pause. "Just think. What would happen to a person if they slipped from up here...?"

I stepped away from the rail. "No... That's not..."

"But, I'm right, aren't I? They might not make it."

I looked over the edge nervously. It was really high. Almost like standing on the world. I could hear my heart in my ears and closed my eyes.

No...

*******

(Marcus's POV)

I sat at a table in a café having lunch with some friends. I had been avoiding Eliot all day and I had refused to talk to him. What would he have to say to me anyways...?

I sipped my iced coffee and half listened to my friends conversation. They were talking about basketball or something. I wasn't sure. I'd never played basketball so I didn't know much about it.

I had seen Eliot talking to some girl all week. Cally, I think it was. They had been hanging out together and I'd seen Eliot leave with her almost everyday.

It's probably the reason he decided to reject me...

I sighed and slumped in my chair. I was arguing with myself on whether or not I was angry or sad. I knew I was depressed but, I wasn't sure if it was from being upset or pissed off.

"What about you, Marcus? Ever think of joining team?" I was pulled from my thoughts when a friend asked me a question. "I'm sorry. What did you say? I wasn't listening."

He frowned but, asked again. "We were just wondering if you ever though of joining the basketball team. You'd be a star." He said with a grin.

I shrugged. "I'm not into basketball. I'd prefer to just watch, if anything."

They laughed. "You're more into girls, huh? Literally into them." They all laughed at the joke and I gave a halfhearted chuckle. "Nah. Not really."

They went back to talking about sports and I looked out the café window. It was snowing again and it reminded me of the hours I waited in the park for Eliot.

Just as I turned away from the window a person ran past on the other side of the street. I glanced at them and realized it was that girl, Cally. She looked frantic, looking every direction before turning to the café and racing across the street towards it.

I watched as she peeked in the window. Her eyes landed on me and she seemed to make a quick decision. I turned away as she rushed inside and came straight towards me.

One of the guys nudged my arm and said, "I thought you said you weren't into girls?" Everyone at the table snickered.

Cally ran to me and I could see she had been crying. "Marcus, Eliot needs you."

I frowned at the name and turned away. "Obviously not. Tell him to find someone else. I'm busy."

I peeked at her from the corner of my eye. She had a single tear run down her cheek. "Marcus, he-" Her voice cracked and she had to pause. She looked me in the eye and sobbed out, "He jumped from the school roof."

My heart actually stopped.

*******

Hey everyone! So sorry! I made an even sadder chapter today. I know you guys are probably really mad at me now and I'm very sorry. I don't want to give away any spoilers or hints so I'm not going to say anything about the next chapter. Just please don't be too sad. I love you all and if I didn't think you could take it then I wouldn't have written something so sad. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! AS ALWAYS VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW AND STAY AWESOME!

-Nekoco