Chapter 5

I stood in the kitchen as my mom handed me the grocery list. "Go and don't forget anything. Be back by 7:00pm." My mom said harshly.

I nodded, my eyes low as i took the list and headed for the door. I actually didn't mind shopping. It meant i could leave that awful place. Also, if i went fast enough i could have extra time to do what i wanted.

I walked quickly in the direction of the store. When i got there i looked for all the things on the list and headed to the front to buy yhem with the money my mother had given me. The only thing i was never asked to buy was their liquor. I was under age and the store would not allow me to buy it.

As i finished buying everything I left the store. I only had a few bags so it wasn't a pain holding them while i headed for the next store. As i walked i smiled. This was about the only time i ever smiled. It was so relaxing to be alone and without my parents. I don't know what I'd do if my parents didn't give me this job. Not that i was surprised. I had every job in the house. Cleaning, cooking, shopping, laundry, dishes. I did all of it. But, it was nothing now that i was used to it. I could do all those jobs in three hours flat.

I walked around one of the corner islesand froze. I quickly backed up and hid behind the Isle. I peeked out at the boy standing there looking at coffee. It was Marcus.

I frowned as i watched him pick a brand and flavor. He smiled and nodded. I was hoping he would walk away so i could get what i needed but, as if hearing my thoughts he turned in my direction and began walking towards me. I jumped back and tried to walk far enough away so he wouldn't notice me.

I groaned as i heard his voice. "Eliot? That you?" I ignored him and continued walking. Then i felt his hand on my shoulder. I knew it was no use and turned to face him. He smiled. "I knew it was you! Why didn't you answer me qhen i asked?"

I looked away. "I...um i didn't hear you."

He seemed to accept that. "So, what are you doing here?"

I gave him a look. "Shopping."

He chuckled. "I knew that. What are you shopping for?"

I frowned. "Normal things. What about you?" I really could care less about what he was buying mut, i was trying to act normal even though i freaking out on the inside.

He held up the bag of pre blended coffee. "Same. Wanna shop together?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Why?"

He rolled his eyes. "I do know. Just 'cause I'm bored and want someone to talk to."

I mentally sighed. I guess i have no choice. "I guess."

*******

I listened to Marcus jabber on about random stuff. I glanced at my watch. I had an hour before I was to be home. I really wanted some alone time and i was pretty freaked out by how nice Marcus was being to me.

As we neared the neighborhood Marcus suddenly exclaimed, "Hey you should come to my house!"

I stepped back. "Um..i kind of need to go home. I'm sorry but, i can't."

He gave me a sad look. "Why? Could you just come over for a little bit?"

I shook my head. "My parents are pretty strict when it comes to my being home on time."

He frowned. "My house is just over there. You could come over and be home in no time. Please?" He gave me puppy eyes.

I knew it was a bad idea to enter the house of your, normally, bully. Thats what i told myself over and over again as i sat tensely on Marcus's bed anyways. He was getting us somthing to drink.