Chapter 4

No matter if I was a self-employed businesswoman, I was not a morning person. So when my alarm went off, I burrowed myself deeper into the lone pillow on my bed and hit snooze for the tenth time that morning, or whatever number I had hit. I was a woman fuelled on iced coffee and ten to twelve hours sleep a day. Which, being a businesswoman, meant that ten to twelve always ended up at being about seven or eight. Result? Grouchy, cranky, bitch. Thank God I took acting classes in school, because I sure as hell haven't gotten myself this far being a grouchy, cranky bitch at work.

Groaning, I roll and tap my phone screen. 9.05am. I needed to be at the church by 10.30am, I was always there before the client, always. Hopping out of bed, I headed over to the chest of draws, which seemed to be going for a Leaning Tower of Pisa look, and grabbed my toiletry bag from the top, screaming when my little house guest scurried from the top of the dresser and onto the floor.

"AHHH!" I scream, watching the lizard hightail it across the floorboards and up the wall. When he was at a safe distance from me and stopped, I ceased screaming as well, plunging the small studio into silence.

Little lizard stares at me, and I stare at it.

"Okay," I said, gathering all the courage I could. "I like animals, I'm a very animal person. Lizards and bugs and small creatures? Not so much. So maybe we can come to an agreement."

I waited for the lizard to scurry off again, but he remained still, his head tilted to the side as though he was actually eying me and interested in this agreement.

Jesus, I've lost it, this is what happens when I don't get enough sleep. I end up negotiating with lizards for the second day in a row.

"You look very friendly, and considering you've ran from me every time, I assume you don't want to hurt me. Therefore, maybe we can just make do with the fact we are both living here and keep out of each other's way as much as possible? How does that sound?"

Lizard didn't respond, as expected. But he did walk forward slowly, as though he had finally realised I, equally, wasn't anything to be afraid of.

"You know," I said, straightening up and relaxing. "You kind of look like the lizard from Tangled. Anyone ever tell you that?" I smiled, then paused. "Wait, Pascal was a chameleon, not a lizard, hmm. Anyway, you look like him, can I call you Pascal?"

The lizard walked up the wall, stopping at a small crack in the corner of the room where some sunlight peaked through. Just before he left, I replied to myself, "have a good day, Pascal!"

God, I had really lost it.

***

I spotted Demetri immediately; I mean who couldn't? He was the big, bulky man with long black hair standing in twenty-five-degree heat wearing a long-sleeved black shirt and black jeans. I mean really? Come to think of it, he had been wearing black yesterday. Strange, strange man.

Demetri was gathered with his family towards the back of the outdoor seating area, near the building. They were sitting on rattan sofas around little coffee tables chatting. There were the odd few tourists around. I made my way towards them, to say good morning and find out where I could get my fix on an iced latte. I had very rarely gone this long from when I woke up to having my coffee. I made a mental note that if this was a new thing, destination weddings, I needed to spend the evening before scoping out where I can find coffee the next morning.

Heading over to the taverna, the first to spot me was Hebe, Mela's daughter and Demetris second cousin. Considering there was so many of them, I was surprised I was able to remember most from spending the morning with them yesterday.