Chapter 13

I stopped my alarm this morning and told myself, I deserved five more minutes. My run could wait. My endless to-do list could wait. My iced latte could wait. I wanted to bathe in the silence just for five. More. Minutes.

That was until a loud, persistent knock at my front door jolts me awake, and it doesn't stop.

"Coming," I groan, throwing the cover off my legs. I head to the door, and when I throw it open, Demetri stands on the other side with a paper bag in one hand and a plastic coffee up in the other.

"Oh good, you're still here," his tone is light and too happy for this early in the morning.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, squinting from the beaming sunlight. Jeez it's hot today, it's not been this hot in the morning since I arrived on the island.

"I was worried you might have caught the next flight home," he grins.

"Why would I do that?" I ask, while yawning.

"After what happened yesterday, and you agreeing to go through with Bridezilla and Groomzilla's wedding, I thought you might have hopped on the first flight home, turns out you were just sleeping. Tired prinkípissa?" He laughs as I yawn again.

"It's early, so yeah, I'm tired. What are you doing here? I always come meet you for breakfast?" I ask, frowning at the bag of food and iced latte he's holding out to me.

"Hate to break it to you but it's not early, you missed breakfast and now I'm bringing you lunch." When I look to his face and continue frowning, he adds, "it's one thirty prinkípissa, I was worried."

It's one thirty? In the afternoon? Wait... "you were worried? About me?" I ask, still not moving.

Demetri nods, "you've been on my doorstep at nine thirty am on the dot for the last two weeks, so yeah, when you didn't turn up, I worried. Then I thought you might have decided to work from the studio, so I bought you food, and I wanted to make sure you hadn't abandoned me without a goodbye kiss," he smirks.

That gets my attention, "oh."

"Yeah, it's all good though, you're still here."

I nod, "still here."

"You going to invite me in, or do I have to roast out here?" he cocks his head.

I shake my head, "sorry, come in."

I step aside and let Demetri pass by me, he does a sweep of the place as he enters. "Wow, Maria really bought this place to life didn't she," Demetri mocks looking around the studio. "Jesus, I didn't realise it had become this run down. That's her thing, to keep it going and let me know if anything needs doing." He shakes his head, "I really should look into refurbing it."

"It's done it's job while I'm here, although, I wouldn't say no to a goose down pillow here, lick of paint there," I laugh making my way over to where my phone and watch are on the bedside table. I glance at my smartwatch clock sitting on its charger, and it's confirmed, my five minutes really had turned into four hours.

"I'm sorry, you deserve something nicer while you're here." I turn to face Demetri; he's placing the coffee and bag onto the small dining table.

"Don't worry, I saw the pictures online, I knew what I was getting," I smile. "You really didn't have to bring me lunch, but thank you," I add, walking over to the dining table and taking a seat.

Demetri empties the contents of the bag and my stomach rumbles. Fresh pastries, a sandwich... "are those chips?" I ask as Demetri opens up a container of piping hot potato chips.

"I thought you might be hungry if you haven't eaten, so I bought you some of the leftover pastries from breakfast and made you a club sandwich, it's best served with chips."