Chapter 4.

I cannot get out of the courthouse fast enough. I duck my head, cowering inside of my oversized coat and pull the toboggan down lower, practically in my line of sight, I fight so hard not to be seen.

I burst out of the building and make my way quickly down the front steps, careful not to slip in the patches of ice building up in the crunched down snow.

I glance up ever so slightly, catching sight of my rental parked just to the left off of the street and I sigh in relief, almost there.

I fumble with the key fob trying to get in, certain this will be the moment someone is going to walk up and see me, but I manage to get in unscathed.

I crank the car and lean my head back onto the headrest, letting what small amount of heat this crap car is capable of spewing warm the air around my body. Imagining it seeping in through my layers of clothing and into my flesh.

The radio is clicked on in the car, which I think is strange considering I drove here with it off, but this car is, while still shitty, nicer than ones I've driven before. So maybe it has some sort of automatic switch on for the music or something.

I sit up, reaching over to turn the dial to at least put it onto a station that's playing music but that's when I hear it.

"Police are asking anyone with any information to come forward or call the local authorities at-."

I slap at the radio to make it stop. Silence fills the car, but all I hear in my head is those words. Those words were how it all started.

Being here is making me more crazy than usual.

I'm filled with thoughts of all of the first newscasts I'd heard sitting in the backseat of my parent's car. They'd just picked me up from school and they were singing a song on the radio at the top of their lungs. I'd laughed and played along even though I didn't really know the words we all tried to out sing the other until suddenly as we pulled to a stop light, the song cut off abruptly and the car speakers were filled with the muffled sounds of the radio host fidgeting with his mic.

"Sorry to interrupt the jams," he had said. We always listened to this station and I'd heard his voice a thousand times over on countless days but even at my age then I heard the discomfort in that small shake of his voice. "We are getting word to be on the lookout for a local Girl, Madison Reach, of Faulkner. She was reported missing to the local authorities late last night after not returning home from school at Faulkner High School. Faculty says she was in attendance, but her whereabouts since leaving the campus are unknown. She is fifteen years old, 5 feet and five inches tall. She has blonde hair, blue eyes, and was last seen wearing a red coat and blue jeans." He continued. "If you have any information regarding her whereabouts or have seen her in the last twenty four hours or have any information in regards to this ongoing case, you are urged to please contact the local authorities. We will keep you all updated with any word we receive. Our prayers are with her family at this time." The radio host took a breath and then with his best attempt at cheerfulness he said. "Now back to the music."

A new song started, but my mom had reached over and turned the volume down low as my father reached out to rest a hand on her bouncing knee.

I knew Madison.

I'd had classes with her.

She was smart, always raising her hand, or making the class groan with contempt when she'd remind the teachers of assignments they had forgotten to take up.

She'd always been nice to me. We'd never really had a conversation but if I needed a pen or to know what page I was supposed to be on, she'd always been more than happy to help, a big smile on her face.