Chapter 9.

Too long passes.

I lose track of the time easily in this tiny windowless room. Eventually the men come back and graciously remove my handcuffs and place a black bitter coffee in front of me in a styrofoam cup. It tastes like ass but at least it's warm.

They continue to ask me question after question. Questions I do not have the answers to. Questions that don't even make sense.

I didn't know that girl.

I didn't hurt her.

I don't know why I was on that road.

They already know about the pills, so I tell them, I tell them I was high and frustrated and just drove. I didn't know to where I just ended up there. I only got out of the car to help the kid.

But the more they keep asking the same questions over and over...

I just stop speaking.

They aren't listening anyway.

They want me to slip up. To say something that doesn't match what I've already told them. They want to wear me down until I admit to something I'm positive I didn't do.

They're wasting time with me.

They should be looking for real clues. They should be finding the creep who killed Linn, not grilling me.

I've given them everything I'm giving.

They say I'm not under arrest.

They can't hold me for that.

But they can hold me for being on drugs.

I'm not on drugs!

I want to keep shouting it.

I don't do drugs!

I'd been offered drugs earlier today and I'd not done it. I am not a drug addict. I'm not. I'm not a drug doing maniac. I just need those pills sometimes. I just take what I need to survive.

They are for the anxiety and the depression. Those things are very real. They're medical. I have an imbalance in my brain. I need those. I'm not some back alley drug user. I'm not.

A doctor gave me those pills...

Or at least they used to.

It can't be a problem if they were given to me out of need.

But still, they don't care.

I told them everything I've been doing since I got here. Told them they can check my story with Mrs. Statham. She'd know I was with her all day, and across the street when I wasn't.

She and Kelsea can both vouch for the fact I'd been with them.

They made the calls.

The embarrassing ones.

Following up to check my story.

I know they'll mention the pills.

If she didn't know already, she will now. Maybe she will be so angry with me for stealing from her, she will refuse to be my alibi.

I should have known though. Mrs. Statham is a good person. A kind one. They tell me they spoke with her and my story checks out...for now.

They move me from the cold single room and shove me into a large holding cell with five other people.

"Sleep it off." Officer Gillian is back. "You can leave when someone comes to pick you up in the morning."

"Ok." I sigh. I'm tired of fighting. Tired of speaking.