Chapter 34.

After going through all of the footage they were able to pull from street cameras they'd noted the truck showing up just days before the first girl was taken.

There is still no clue who the mystery driver is though. Whoever was driving seemed to always be careful. Windows are always rolled all the way up, and the one snapshot from the windshield they were able to catch at a red light, the driver was wearing a face mask and a hoodie with the hood up, completely disguising their identity.

They've pulled all of the DMV records on Aries and they still can't connect him to the truck yet. But they want to. They believe the truck is stolen so there is no way to know who it belongs to, especially with no tag to trace it back to literally anywhere or any person.

All camera footage they'd been able to pull they haven't come across the truck again since the last time it's seen driving out of town behind Amie Farmer.

"He must have an accomplice." Mayfield says from the couch beside me. "Do you know anyone close to him that could be helping?"

I stare at him. "Of course not." I say blankly. "I'd only just reconnected with him when I got here and we haven't really had time to talk about his life any with all of my own crap going on."

It's true.

I know absolutely nothing about him now. Though he's been a part of my life, I've never been a a part of his. We haven't talked about his job or why he moved back here or who he spends his free time with. I know literally nothing. I'd been too consumed within my own bubble of chaos to even think to ask him about his life now.

"We need to interview any coworkers, friends, anyone who has been close to him since he's moved back." Davenport nods, typing across his keyboard.

Lucky for me, the video of the truck the night Aries was arrested clears me from being this unknown supposed accomplice to his crimes.

I can't fully rule out that it could be the truth, but any amount of doubt needs to be dealt with before I send a man to prison.

I know only one thing for certain and that's the truck was stalking that diner and the driver was absolutely not Aries.

On the coffee table my cellphone screen lights up.

We all stare at each other before Mayfield makes a grab for the phone.

He looks at the screen and then to me, thrusting the phone into my hands.

"Unknown caller." He says quickly. "Answer, we have the tap running."

He glances at Davenport like he's looking for assurance that he's correct and he nods.

"Answer." He tells me.

My fingers begin to shake as I hit the accept button.

"H-hello?" I stutter into the phone.

"Missouri Jacobs?" The male voice comes over the phone. "This is Elroy Jinks with The Faulkner Insider. I'm reaching out to try to get a statement from you, let you tell your side of the story. Any information on your friend Mr. Aries Carter?"

Both men sigh and I fist my free hand in annoyance. "No comment." I snap and end the call.

I'm about to toss the phone back to the coffee table, both men looking as annoyed by the let down as me, when again the screen lights up. This time, it's a text message.

Aries Carter: I need to explain.

His message is short and to the point.

I look at Mayfield, tilting the screen so that he can see the message.