Chapter 10.

"Missy!" My mother's voice carried up the stairs to reach our room. "Can you come down here please!"

I'd groaned, setting my worn copy of Frankenstein aside.

"Someone is in trouble." Dallas had said from his spot in the floor, his back leaned against the metal footboard of his bed. He waggled his eyebrows at me and made noises like I was being summoned to the principal's office out of class.

"If Dallas is home, him too!" Our mother added and I grinned at my brother who stopped making the noises, mouth still open in an O shape.

"If I'm in trouble," I'd said, hopping off of the bed. "Then so are, bro."

We'd shoved each other trying to get out of the door first and laughed trying to race down the stairs.

I'd pretended to trip and grabbed my ankle and he'd taken the bait like I knew he would.

His dark eyes went wide with apology and he stopped to lean over me, just enough to where I could push his shoulder back, making him fall onto his butt with a huff.

I took the stairs two at a time, running down and around the corner into the kitchen.

We could hear the tv playing in the background as Dallas caught up to me, his legs always longer than mine.

"Maybe next time." He'd mussed my hair and strode by me into the living room.

We'd both stopped short inside the door.

Our father was sitting in his recliner, elbows propped up on his knees, his fingers steepled below his chin.

His eyes were on the TV.

"John." My mother had said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Our father picked up the remote from the arm of his chair and switched the tv off.

"You guys come sit with us for a second." He'd said, standing and putting a hand around Mom's waist.

Dallas and I shared a glance. I'd looked to him for some sort of understanding. For an answer to why they were being weird.

You could see it in the lines of their faces. Where smiles usually were, instead they were frowning. Uncomfortable.

"Is it Grandma?" Dallas had spoken first.

Of course, she was old and living alone back on the reservation now. That made sense. Something must have happened to her.

"No, no." Mom had heaved a sigh. "Nothing like that. Come sit." She pointed to the loveseat and after sharing another glance, Dallas and I followed their direction.

We'd sat side by side, knees touching.

I was wracking my brain. I knew I hadn't done anything to get into trouble, but there was that party Dallas had snuck out to.

I was trying to be ready to be his alibi, hopping he was doing the same in case this was about me doing something I didn't remember yet.

Mom and our father crossed the room and sat side by side across from us on the coffee table. My father's hand on my mother's knee.

"We need to talk to you guys about Madison." Mom had spoken first.

"They found her." My father said, looking us both in the eye.

I looked around between the three of them, not understanding why their faces held this strange look of pity and...

"Dead?" I'd asked, not wanting to believe where my mind had gone.