3

"I can't do it" she yelled, as she parked the car on the side of the road. She rested her forehead on the steering wheel, trying to gather her thoughts. "You Can. Your mind is just making you not want to."

She lifted her head and faced him as he said those words to her. She took a deep breath and started to drive once again. He didn't tell her anything, the last thing he wanted to do was distract her from the road. After a few minutes Iliana got the hang of it. Perfect turns, right speed limit, She was driving safe.

"I told you. You can do it" he smiled. "Hey, are you hungry?" He asked her, Jc hadn't eat all day. He could feel his stomach was growling. "Yeah, but you drive."She told him, Jc nodded and opened the door to switch places once again.

They switched seats and head over a restaurant he wanted to show her. "I come here most of the time, I recommend the burger." He told her, while opening the door of the restaurant. It was quiet besides the music playing on the speakers.

"¡Jc! how are you? ¿Who's the young lady?" Asked a middle aged man on the other side of the counter, joyful to see him. He seemed friendly. "A friend from school. Teaching her how to drive"

"Nice to meet you, I'm Iliana" she introduced herself "I'm Ricky , owner of the place" said Ricky to her, until Jc realized why not asking him if he could hire her, she was looking for a job and he was looking for employees.

He waited for them to finish their conversation, which was strange. She talked to Ricky longer than she had ever talk to him. "Hey Ricky , Iliana is looking for a job, are you still hiring?"

"I am, Iliana have you worked before at a restaurant?" He asked "I have, I use to be a cashier and host"

"That's great, you're welcomed to take the job. We need staff"

"Thank you" after exchanging information both of them ordered their food and sat down on a table outside. It was already getting dark, the sun was setting down. She sat across from him, talking about her old job.

"Order 23" Yelled a girl from the speakers that lead inside the restaurant. "That's ours, let me go get it" he offered, leaving her alone at the table. Going inside the place, and coming out with a tray.

She thanked him and started eating. "So how was your life back then, before you moved" he asked her."simple, easy, and happy."

"¿Why? I think you made it clear you don't like it here" he ate a fry "Don't get me wrong, it's great here. Just not my thing, I miss going out with my friends"

"¿Have they come and visit you?"

"Oh no...I moved without telling them. I don't like goodbyes. One day I'll go back and see them" she said. He looked at her confused, why didn't she tell them she was moving?

"So you do Spelling Bees ¿huh?" He asked out of the blue catching her attention. She stared at him confused, she hadn't told him that. " ¿how do you know?" She asked scared. Did he know? "Lance told us you offered to help him."

"Yeah, I did. He told me it was something new he wanted to try, which is great" she looked down at her fries "You know what I've realized" he said catching her attention "¿what?"she ate a another fry.

"You've never smiled"

"Yes I have" she said certain "no, you haven't. At least not with me, why?" Iliana looked at him confused by it. But he was right, she hadn't smile, not with him or anyone from her family. She didn't know how long it had been since she had smile.

"I don't know."

She looked at her wrist where her watch was, it marked 11pm, shit. She hadn't realized it was already late, her curfew was 10. She looked at him worried by it."It's past my curfew, I need to get home." She got up from her chair.