-1-

The wood floor vibrates with joy and energy. Everyone around me is jumping to the beat of the music while I stand in one place trying to chug down the rest of this horrid drink. Soca promised I could leave to hug my dog as soon as I finished this, and I'm taking her for her word. Her curly blonde hair breaks through the crowd standing right in front of me with a gripping smile. The crystal blue eyes are captivating, even more so in the glowing lights, "Chugging? That's how bad you want to be away from me?" Her taunt is heard and understood. She tends to go much harder during such events, but I have priorities that take precedence over a drunk night. I'd only stopped by because of the number of phone calls she made to me, begging that I take the time of day to hang out with her instead of stuffing my head away in a book.

Soca has always had an energy about her that I've never understood, one of smoothness and direction that I've never found in another person. If she didn't live on this side of the wall with those blue eyes, I'd almost argue that she's a vampire, but they'd cast her out.

The moment I arrived she handed me the strongest drink she could get her hands on. Its liquid fire rushed down my throat without warning causing a sputtering of pain while she smiled at me with an eerie grin. When I'd asked the occasion she simply giggled rushing off to the friends she had tucked away in the corner. Anytime my drink was almost empty, she fluttered back with another. Soon enough, drunk Evelyn wasn't going to say no.

I giggle around the rim of the cup. My world is swirling a million miles a minute, my heart thrumming much faster than it should be. Finals for the semester are over and this is the first time I've allowed myself to truly let loose, with the help of Soca. Now I'm also reminded why I don't do this. The sickness, "My dog is warm and loves to watch drama TV with me. And I need to take her on her walk. I told her I was going to be home by like... ten?" I check the time on my phone, poor thing. Now with the liquid courage burning through me, I can finally speak my mind. Something I should have done before I showed up, "No matter what you tell me right now Soca, I'll be walking out that door in the next five minutes, I can't let you bring me to black out."

"Come on." She wraps her manicured fingers around my arm leading me to the front door. Her grace and dignity are something of a blessing. Everyone on campus knows of her, she's the mysterious woman that showed up from another domain. Her duke was done with her, and now she's settled here. For a human, it's curious she even held their attention, even more, so that he felt the need to send her away. Why not just kill her and be done with it? And why does she insist to be a friend to me? Even with all the drinks she's had this evening, she stands strong on her heels guiding me like a mother would a child, "Be safe. Don't want the vampires to nip you."

Even now with our time as friends, she's never fully told me what happened on the other side of the wall under the care of a duke. She's only smiled and laughed through the homework and complaints I've spilled, and then directed away from herself. Such a mystery if you've ever met one, and right now I'll ask again to know more, "Soca... why are you so vampire-y?"

"Come on, your dog needs you."

"Soca are you a spy?" I pretend to whisper knowing that from an outside perspective, I'm most likely on the brink of a subtle yell.

"Evelyn, pull yourself together."

"You know just as well as I do they hate a person that's been drinking." I snort wrapping my hand around the door handle, "I might as well be a stick of garlic in the night!" She gives me a nod and shoves me out. Her eyes stay on me until I hit the main road counting each step to the late-night bus stop. She sends one last call for safety, then a mute 'I love you' as friends. My drunk brain doesn't care to respond.