-20-

One full blooded human, and sadly that's me. The duke is attempting to kill a monster tracking me after breaking through their mystical detainment. Every part of me is terrified, even more so because the half-blood in front of me is shaking as hard as she is, "Are you telling me every single person I've met in this estate has been a half-blood?"

"I was told to lie to you until you were ready." She pleads for herself, "So yes, you are truly the only human here."

"And why would that be Irene?" The fear is egging on my confidence giving me a pseudo chance. I have to keep some sort of control on my life or things might get tricky all at once.  However, the fear that eats at me gets my mouth moving instead of logically thinking through this.

"That's the Duke's story to tell, not mine." She's serious, "Now get into hiding until the problem is handled. I must keep you safe, or it'll be my neck."

~

Duke Victor DeMoro Point of View

The beast breaks through the trees violently. I'm right at its tail with my sword dripping in its green blood. My men swarm around trying to stop it from moving forward, but it holds pace. It's determined to catch the scent of my woman. Determined to take her from me. I've tuned her out to focus on the task at hand. Irene should be suitable enough as my commander to fight if it comes to that, but Evelyn I doubt she's ever heard... let alone seen of the monsters that haunt the forbidden forests.

"Cut it off before I start slitting your throats!" I yell to my men who take it into high gear running around the beast. Two throw ropes to get it tripping, but it's three feet thick legs snap it in two. No matter the vampire, this beast will hold its own. The dukedom comes into view. My eyes immediately land on the window of the duchesses dress room where Evelyn currently sleeps. It's heading right for her. Even with my speed the long steps keeps this thing ahead of me.

I've never felt so helpless.

The green demon breaks through the fence running to the walls. It's fifteen-foot-tall height stands well against her window. We all take in the hand as it raises to break through, but something in me snaps and I go feral.

My gloves are tossed to the side at the same moment I put every bit of energy into putting on foot in front of the other. Jumping, I grab a branch pushing off to send myself through the air. With a midturn I spin myself so I land on its shoulder distracting it.

She's passed out sir. She saw the beast.

Irene pushes through my guards to tell me her state. If only I could be the one to hold her while she lays in fear. I push my sword into its sheath letting my hand fall upon the beast. With the last of my energy, I push through its skin poisoning it until it tumbles. It cracks left and right, then settles on the left falling towards the revenge that sits under her windows. This was the first moment I was able to secure a path to his skin, and I will make it worth it.

As soon as I see a clearing, I launch once more. Every part of my body screams for me to stop, screams for me to slow down and stop burning through the blood. I won't be able to handle myself around her. I won't... no. The window to her bedroom shatters when I roll into the room.

Irene stands proudly in front of her sleeping form, "Your feral sir. You need to calm down before I allow you to touch her."

My fangs break my lips allowing myself to drink the blood already circulating through my body. It's a war trick to keep ourselves calm around humans, "Please. Let me take her to my room. The beast will only cause her more fear."

"You're admitting it then?"

"Admitting what?"

"You've assigned me to protect our future queen, the current duchess, and you're too scared to tell her."

"Not now woman." I grunt shoving her off. She's like an annoying little sister. Always wants the best for you, but will eat at you any chance she gets, "She really doesn't know does she?"

"The sooner you tell her, the better it'll be for the both of you. The next changing comes soon. If you don't... we'll continue to have these problems."

I hesitate to lay my hands on her skin, but the moment I do it's like my world settles into a comfortable peace. She's safe, "I need her to make the decision... I won't make it for her."

"She already adores you, Victor."

"I'm her worst enemy. The species that killed her parents, the kind that terrorized her people." She would never love me.

"The people that protect the humans. The man that single handedly delivered vengeance to her parent's killer for her? That man?" At the time I had executed vengeance on the count without explanation. People started to fear me, see me as a heartless duke, when it was all for the woman that lay on the floor. If only I had been able to save them before the pain could enter her heart.

She'll never love a man like me.

It's a terrible dream.

"Be ready to get back in character when she wakes up. I want her to have all the comforts to help her."

Irene mockingly curtsies, "As you wish, your grace."

.

.

.

.