-23-

His lips trail down my leg sensually kissing inch by inch. As he kisses he moves my dress to have me more exposed, his hand moving from my breast to hold my uncovered hip. His gloved hand is warm, his covered touch sending such a sensation of power I hadn't expected. Please, yes. Victor makes a noise of pleasure kissing the outside of my panties. I'm almost soaking through begging him for more. 

"You, darling, are the more beautiful woman I've ever seen." His words are delicate. A voice so full of truth that my eyes peek open to meet his. Instead of focusing on myself bared before him his meeting my eyes. His blood red look at me with a passion I've never encountered, "You are everything." 

You are everything. He grabs my heart and holds it between his hands. I'm entranced, my heart a stuttering mess for him, "Victor-" I go to reach up for him, but he stops pulling away from the mess we've made on the table. He takes two long steps back sucking in his breath. No please, come here. 

"I need to step away for business. The Count of Monsters needs me to address the breach from the monster." He hesitates, "I will meet you for dinner." 

"You're leaving?" I shove my dress down standing up, "You can't..." My feet move of their own accord to touch him, to bring him close. Something in me craves to pull him into me and show him just how much I want. However, Victor steps back again and gives a sad smile. 

"I hope to apologize properly one day." Another confusing remark. He leaves the room with Irene entering shortly after with a sad smile on her face. I'm standing in the same place he left with an anger so fierce that I start screaming. 

"I can't believe him!" And I can't believe how much I wanted him. I wanted you too. It's a voice I don't recognize but I choose to ignore it. I'm not in the mood for my minds games, "He just left after... after..." I wave my hand to the place he'd cherished me. Made me feel so beautiful that I melted in his gaze.

"Evelyn you need to breathe." She avoids the lady title coming straight for me. She wraps her arms around me with such strength that I can do nothing but fall into her arms, "There is more to this than we are able to share with you at this time, but know that was just as hurt to leave." 

"There it is again, no one can tell me what's going on. Why did he choose me, why does he keep me close and protect me, why did I wake up in his room after the attack, and why when I finally offer what he wanted since the beginning does he run away and leave me hurt and confused?" 

"You ask all these questions and yet you can't put it together?" She scoffs, "Evelyn you are a very intelligent woman until you're not. This is a moment that you're not." She goes to say something else but is stopped by something that I can't hear. Here eyes snap downwards, then back up to meet mine, "We need to go." 

"Go where?" 

"Another monster is on the loose. We need to get you somewhere safe." 

"Again?" I tug her to a stop, "How can one get out so shortly after the last, and where is Victor? Is he safe?" The questions are rapid fire, but Irene doesn't care enough to answer pulling me from the room. We run down the hallways towards a space in the east corridors. 

"The Count committed treason. When the duke approached for the conversation the count released three different monsters. A centaur, banshee, and ogre. It appears he was attempting to kill him." 

"How do you know this?" They don't have cell phones, nor do they have any quick messaging systems. 

"The duke can read minds and communicate telepathically." She rambles out locking the door behind us, "It's how he communicates with his team and monitors the people. The count ate illegal herbs to hinder the dukes ability to understand his mind which is why he had to leave so quickly." 

No. No. No. 

"I know it's a lot to take in." She grumbles looking at the door, then taking a break to listen, "But it's the best way to explain it. Every powerful vampire has their main and secondary abilities. The duke is able to kill things with just a touch of his skin and can read the minds of who he chooses." 

"All this time when he'd respond to something I believed I'd just thought to myself..." The memories quickly play over and over.

"When he is overly in tune with someone he can forget or struggle to understand what is aloud and what isn't. Sometimes he does it as a show of power. I want you to know that he never intended to harm you..." 

"I plan to kill him when he returns." 

"I'm sure." She whispers, "But for now he's trying to keep you safe. The duke has confirmed that your dog is in a safe place as well and let me know. We need to wait here, Evelyn." 

I choose to ignore her moving to sit on the bed. Twenty, thirty minutes pass before Irene reaches over and grabs me. The windows shatter a screech so loud I swore my ears were going to bleed, "The banshee!" It's when Irene pulls a long sword from under the bed that I realize the duke isn't the only one who's been lying to me. 

.

.

.

.

Secrets are being spilled!!