-17-

I feel foreign in pants. Irene struts around me checking every seam, "I forgot how large your butt is. Too much bread is bad for you. Those pants hug you in such a way I'm almost convinced you're naked." It's a compliment. She always has a wild way of putting things. She gets a toothy smile from me while I spin to see how I look. The pants hug me nicely, the 'pirate' shirt as I call it sits well against my tightly bound breasts. For the first time since I was dragged her I'm wearing a bra. It's just as restricting as I remember, and some part of me prefers the corset.

"Why is he so adamant about taking me to the village?" I mutter while Irene works to release my hair from the knot she'd placed it in this morning. It's falls down like a waterfall surrounding my shoulders. Irene brushes through the ends. With some musing she decides to keep the curls throughout. Give you volume, my lady. She'd mumbled working as fast as her fingers allowed.

"He feels like you might be missing social activities. And the market is today! A great time to visit. Lots of dancing and drinks." She backs up to get a good look at me, then nods once, "And tonight is another stay in night. So you won't be able to wander like you enjoy doing."

I drop any smile I had for a frown, "And why is that?"

"I'm not allowed to tell you." At least she's honest.

"Is it something to do with the vampires needing to feed?" The last time I'd stayed in there were screams, then moans coming from outside my door. They were faint, but loud enough to identify. I'd been tempted to cry at the sounds, but the shiny new knob and chain lock from the Duke kept me calm. After his comment he made sure to demonstrate the strength of it, then left me to my devices, you'll never have to worry about an intruder, my lady. It's one of the few times he'd called me lady, "And have you found a reason for the Lady title? I genuinely don't like being referred as such."

"Such a brat!" She chides handing me some shoes, "As I said, I am not permitted to tell you. That includes confirming suspicion. For your safety, my lady, I would recommend staying in. His grace would have a fit if you wandered this evening."

"Fine." Definitely not fine. I'll just have to figure it out myself. The first round of our game.

~

The help is overjoyed at the sight of us. Each of them line up to say good bye, and one of the ladies made sure to shove snacks towards us. I tried to give them back, but Victor stretched his arms around me to accept them. Right at the end Irene waits with her familiar grin. She grabs my arm pulling me close, "We've never seen his grace take a lady out. It's a big deal."

"It's just business." I seethe back and pull myself away. She rolls her eyes and goes with it. Victor walks me through the doors towards a carriage with two white horses at the front. How I wish I could ride.

"I could teach you." Victor remarks. He glances down before grabbing the carriage door for me, then walking around to hop in the other side. One thing I remember is the fact he'd had a very nice vehicle when he stole me away. At least, the inches of memory that've returned say so, "Irene informed you of the monsters correct?"

"No! She would never." I freak raising my hands. I was told to keep the secret to myself, and here he is guessing. She'll never think of me as a friend if she believes I lied to her or broke a promise, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You need not lie, my darling. Irene told me she shared the information with you. But I find it amusing you protected her so. I'll have to tell her that you might not be all the brat that she thinks you are." He laughs to himself while knocking on the front of the carriage to let them know to go forward. My darling, my heart swoons every time.

"Well now I feel misled." I let myself laugh joining in on his good mood. He looks edible in his beige shirt and loose pants. I almost salivate at the way his arms look, the tattoos calling for my tongue to trace. I go still. Bad thoughts. My eyes wander to the window to look away from him, I can't do this in an enclosed space. One touch of his hand and I'm going to straddle him. In the same moment, I see his hand lift towards me. Oh. The brown work gloves blend well with the outfit, his head covered with a bandana. I would recognize him in any choice of clothes, but for now I can see how this would work. At a glance he is the last person you would suspect, but his gaze will always set me aflame.

The hand lingers in the air. He's watching my reaction carefully. I'm trying not to give myself away. Touch me. NO! Wait... It's a confusing split. A solid line drawn down the middle that can't decide what I want. It's as if two demons are sitting on my shoulders enticing me. One's yelling at me to ride him, the other begging me to run in the night. Neither seem like good plans, but one becomes just a little bit easier to listen to. His jaw sets, hand moving back to his side. He chooses not to touch me even though many times he's wished to. I've seen the looks, the glances, the knuckles turning white, but today he danced with me. Talk about mixed signals, "Today is the market. There will be many people in the square. I encourage you to stay by my side. While I do my very best to ensure the safety of my people, there are always some that wish to tempt their fate."

"It's because I'm human yes?" I wrap my hand around my throat to protect it.

Victor shakes his head, eyes going soft, "No, it's because you're beautiful."

.

.

.

.