-25-

I awake in the forest near the running stream of water. My body is covered in limbs and mud, and I have little to no recollection of what's occurred, "Good morning beautiful." My head snaps from the sky to the duke sitting on another rock, his hands are covered and face somber, "Apologies for the rather rough awakening."

"What happened?"

"My home was attacked by a few monsters, most of it destroyed. We are to wait here until the ogre is handled and then we'll return." He has a small satchel beside him that he pulls to his lap. Inside is a couple snacks that he offers over, "I've healed most of what I good with elixirs. Otherwise, we'll need to visit the healer." I look down to see only light-yellow bruises covering my legs. I feel more than fine, but from the look of Victor he needs help. There's a large gash in his side, and massive whelps covering his skin.

"Victor!" I stand and walk over to him grabbing at his hands. His arms are covered in splits and cuts dried blood sending a nauseating copper smell into my nostrils, "I didn't know you..."

"Vampires can bleed when they've maintained a well-balanced diet. It's only the hollows that don't." He groans when I touch a specific part of his arm forgetting all about his deadly skin, "Amanté, I would rather you didn't."

"Can't you just touch them, and they die?" For some reason it bothers me more and more that he's in pain. The more that I look over him, the more I'm worried he'll fall dead if we don't get help, "And how can I help you?"

Victor chooses not to answer my second question, "When a vampire uses their abilities it takes energy, energy which is stored in the blood we drink. We also must choose what energy we put where... and when you have multiple abilities it becomes bothersome." That's right, "If we burn ourselves out, we become hollows, murderous vampires that the humans closely relate us with, otherwise we must amplify our powers in some ways. Only three monsters were able to escape me, and that was too many."

"Amplify?" I look down to the clean cuts, "Did you cut yourself to kill the monsters?" I drop his hand almost apologizing for the groan that leaves him, "Did you?"

"I do what needs to be done." There's something he's not saying in his tone, words that he is keeping to himself, "Yes, I am." Answering my thoughts.

"You've been lying to me, Victor." Another long breath, "And for whatever reason that is, I need you to put it to the side and tell me how to help you. For some reason... cough... for some reason I care about you." A small smile breaks his face bringing my own mood up a bit.

"I know."

"Arrogant."

"I know that too."

"Victor."

"Evelyn?" He finishes causes me to curse under my breath.

"It's blood, isn't it?" He doesn't have to answer, his face says it all, "Take it." I hold up a wrist.

"You can't..." He swallows deeply, "It's only been two weeks." He's studying my mind and for once I can feel him rummaging through something.

"Get out of my head."

"I can't take your blood." He tries to push my wrist away.

"You've told me time and time again that humans bit by vampires do not get turned. I am trying to help you because something..." And then it clicks. The memory of the banshee, then the centaur, then his hands, "Why can't you bite me, Victor?"

"Evelyn, I ask that you do not press this issue further." He's gone cold, stoic in his gaze and the way he looks over me, "Now we should prepare for the arrival of the team. The ogre has been killed and we will be traveling to my second home. Bella will be with them."

Thank the heavens she's safe, "I demand you to tell me why you won't bite me."

He pushes himself to stand, "Demand? Amanté, such bold words for someone that used to hold such fear."

I also stand letting my smaller height curl underneath him as I look up to his strong jaw, "Am I, or am I not, your beloved?" The only person he can touch is his mate.

"Evelyn..."

"You have permission to touch me, your grace." All the sexual frustration is building. Every emotion I've ever had making sense. Even just the way I crave his presence and scent starts to blend in with the rest of the story, "And I want you too. With your hands. Touch me like you wished too when I splayed across your desk, show me what you wished to do to me when you've been retracting your hand."

And that broke him. The duke in all his pain wrapped his gloved hands around the back of my head tangling in my hair. He pulls me in for a kiss so loving, so full of longing and desire that I buckle under his affections. The sparks tingle over me with such vigor that I wrap my hands around his sides to keep myself steady. I'm puddy at his touch until he pulls away to take a breath, "What are you doing to me?" He groans peppering kisses all over my skin.

"I'm still angry with you," I mumble through the moan. Something overcomes me, a part of me that I've shoved so far down that I barely know how to contain her when the fire licks over my skin and settles between my thighs.

"How angry?" He lightly nibbles on my neck.

"I might need to tie you up and have my way with you." I whisper just as his ear aligns with my parted lips, "As consequence."

"How unfortunate." He lightly tugs on my hair yanking my chin up, "Of all the wicked things I could do to your delectable body darling, and you wish me tied up?"

"I wish you to beg for my forgiveness." I push away leaving him standing alone in the middle of the forest, "Because you have plenty of things to tell me whilst on your knees, darling." 

.

.

.

.

And it comes out!! Halfway through and so much more adventure to come.