-26-

It's not long after that the others find us with Bella running up to me. Her little body leaps from the ground taking me down so she can lick all over my face without fear of punishment. I let my fingers curl through her hair enjoying the pure joy she brings me after the stress we've experienced. My eyes land on the Duke who is watching with a joyful smile. I glare at the gloves that adorn his hand, and even more so when I meet his eyes. 

"You need blood, your grace." A man steps up that I don't recognize offering the duke a blood bag, "Please drink." The heated moments we'd felt melt away as the reminder of his gashes come to surface. 

That kiss amanté was worth every sensation of pain. His voice trails into my mind something mentally soothing the worried side of my thoughts. It's a caress so tender that I have to turn my attention back to the dog that has slowed her attacks. Get out of my head. I command. Moments later I'm left alone. An unknown ache of sadness covers over me. He's been there this whole time. I've let myself feel as though I'm crazy but it's been him

The distance between us allows me to gather my thoughts. Allows me to finally take in the situation that is surrounding me. Irene is a warrior, Victor is in line for the crown which the humans despise, I'm his beloved, and vampires have been protecting the humans from those beasts that have almost killed me. I need so much liquor it's unreal right now. The worst of all being how oblivious I've been this entire time. 

"Your grace we need to go." I think they're talking to Victor, however, Irene grabs my arm pulling me to standing, "Come on, we need to go."

I am shell shocked to find the slight head bows from the unknown people as I walk up to the horse standing next to Victors, "Have you ridden before?" A different person asks me to which I step back in slight fear, "Apologies your grace, I'm Demetri, I was the individual that carried you from the Banshee." 

 "I've never ridden a horse." I finally mumble out. I hear the stretch of leather as the duke opens and closes his hands. My head turns to look at him as the gashes slowly close his body returning to the peak of physical health it always has been. 

"Would you be comfortable, your grace, with Duke De Moro melding with your mind to teach you?" Demetri nods to Irene after asking who adds more information to his question. 

"The duke can't control you, simply a transfer of information. It's that or we need you to ride with him." 

"Can't I ride with someone else?" I look around only seeing the two horses, "Oh. This is because..." 

Irene gives a single nod, "We have set up the back of your horse to be able to carry Bella as well. The rest of the team will be traveling by foot." The mix of red eyes with more human-like surround me. Blood covered blades hang off their shoulders, and some still have bruising across their faces. His most trusted advisors... and they all look ready to fight again. 

"He can... meld." I say quietly watching as a different woman places Bella gently into the carrier. She uses light ropes like a leash to keep her down. I drop my jaw in surprise when she settles like she's done this five thousand times. I'm even more angry, sad, everything all at once when the girl that puts my dog into the carrier is Soca

"Soca?" She gives a sad smile but chooses not to answer.

"I have been training her to ride horse back, your grace." The handler who's holding two curved blades calls out from the back of the group, "She should ride nicely." 

My eyes once again find Victors, "This whole time..." 

The duke gives a single nod, "I needed you protected at all times, amanté." 

Irene helps me onto the horse watching intently as Victor transfers information over to me. It's still a learning curve to adjust to the way my hips turn and the horses movements, but within a few minutes I'm able to guide and follow as if I've done this for years, "We are good to head out." Irene calls to the group. Seconds later their bodies blur with speed disappearing into the forest. 

"Do you plan to answer my questions?" 

"No." 

"This will be a silent ride." 

No response, no fight, just the sound of the horses moving forward one step at a time towards the next destination.

.

.

.

.