-4-

"Your grace, I've brought the coffee. I hadn't the thought to ask Lady Sapphire what she enjoys so I brought a couple extra types for her choosing." Irene rushed in with a plate of coffee. Each is in an elegant mug, one topped with whip cream. What's that? The thought that went into such a display is heartwarming, but it only drags more questions. The tip of my tongue must be burning with the need to run, however, other parts of me are okay with stepping back and observing. Things keep getting weirder, especially with the Duke showing me unexplainable favor. Irene also refuses to answer any question about myself or him, is that grounds for punishment? Is this how the other humans were led to their death?

She picks up the large table on the left side of the room for placement. And with a weary glance at Victor, I'm rushing across the room to look over all the assortments, "May I ask what the whipped cream one is?" I'm bent overlooking the tops of the cup to study the color. I've always enjoyed a sugary drink, "Ah!"

"A lady must never bend over in the presence of a male. Here, let me get you seated while Irene presents the drinks." His hand sits on my lower back, the other on my waist. His words seem constrained and uncomfortable looking towards the wall across from us. I become a shell of fear when gives light pressure to my lower to get me back to standing. And with both hands, he guides me by my waist into the closest chair, "Now, Irene."

"To answer your question, Lady Sapphire, the whipped cream is the sweeter style ice white chocolate. One of my maids enjoys it and recommended I add it to the choices. The others would be a standard latte, a mocha, and a regular black with some creamers that I've snuck up." My eyes didn't leave the whip. I'm a sugar fiend at heart, and with a sigh, she is delicately lifting the glass and bringing it over as well as a spoon and napkins. Another moment of help to get me properly set up, then she's serving the Duke. I didn't realize that vampires were able to have a more human style of food, and the look I gave him when took his first sip was enough to send a red flag to his side of the table.

"Unlike what you've been taught, our diet is vast. Many things are required to keep us healthy." He's sat at the head of the table, Irene standing off the side to await more orders. I'm kept in the same seat but choose to focus on the sweet drink I've been handed, "How is your coffee, Ms. Evelyn?"

"It's wonderful thank you. Just taking my time. Nervous." I tumble out. The Duke smirks, his red eyes looking down upon his own drink choice. It appears just looking at him sends my heart into a frenzy, let alone when he speaks to me.

"And what in the blood spill would you have to be nervous about?" His fangs pop over his lip when he offers a smile. The coffee cup sits just tilted right in front of his mouth. Patiently waiting. That's what they do when they stalk their prey. Wait.

"I would assume you could guess... your grace?"

"I suppose I could, but I try not to assume anything that comes to you, my lady. In the short time we've had together, you've been quite the spectacle." He laughs at his words. I look around trying to figure out what is meant by it, and Irene is horror-struck on the side, "But so far you've kept your oath to be a good girl. We'll see how long it lasts."

And with that, another man knocks and enters. He's dressed just like what you imagine a butler wearing, "Your grace, the Count has arrived. Would you like me to bring him in?"

"Keep him waiting. I want Ms. Evelyn to finish her drink before we meet." His gloved hand waves in my direction. Why the gloves? I don't remember seeing them yesterday, then again, I don't remember anything at all if I'm truly thinking about it. Whatever is going on I'm either going to end up riding this man or being killed by him. The more I stare, however, neither would be an issue. Because of his request, I pick the beautiful mug up and started to chug. Irene sucks in a breath, the Duke breaking into a wide smile.

"My lady!" Irene grumbles when she rushes over to take the empty cup. I pat the napkin against the rim of my mouth, but years of practice with beer mugs have led to almost a perfect execution. The Duke reaches his hand upwards towards me, his covered fingers moving slightly to lay against my skin, but at the last moment, he retracts wrapping his hand back into a fist. If it wasn't for the intense look, the look of pure heat dripping from him I wouldn't have noticed, but here I am watching his every move just as he watches mine.

"Like I said, a spectacle." Victor waves to the butler sending him from the room, "The Count is much more formal than we are in the Dukedom. Please try your best to keep up. Irene will be right next to you the whole time. And apologies for anything you witness, Ms. Evelyn."

More formal? "Oh okay. Um... thanks." Irene pulls me from the chair leading me to the right hand of the Duke. I stand a foot or two behind him and she focuses on rolling my shoulders back, so I have a tall stance. Once the Duke has appreciated Irene's work, he faces forward.

The butler wasted no time leading the Count into the lounge. I stand there with a small smile. Nothing makes sense around me, everything continues to be one surprise after the next, but one thing I know is surviving is playing along. If it takes me looking pretty and standing behind the vampire Duke, then that's what I'll do. There's too much to learn here. I have the chance to see the world, and learn their true ways, and I'll be dead if I waste such an opportunity.