-12-

Her words resonate a little too heavily within me. She's strutting out of the room, eyes blazing with liquid heat. I have half a nerve to jump out of the window before she reaches him. It's only day two and I've pissed off my only friend, "Wait! Irene!" I yell out to her. She stops mid step, turns, and drops her shoulders.

"What brat?" Thank you.

"You obviously know something I don't." I cross my arms giving her a side eye. Irene smirks, a human canine coming into view.

"I know many things you don't, and one of those include his grace. If I walk up to him with this dress and tell him of your refusal, he'll drag you across the floor until you're tied to a chair. Then I'd be instructed to feed you." Her words become a little more humorous, but I doubt she's lying.

"Then tell me why he picked me, why he's dragged me into his dukedom."

Irene snorts, "You have a choice now," She completely ignores my question, "We return to your room and get dressed in a very controlled, humane manner, or his grace handles you and I drink a bottle of wine. Which one?" Her eyes trace over my surprised face. I'd expected Victor to come up for the challenge, not my handmaiden. She's supporting him! That retched vampire that doesn't know how to watch his mouth. I've never felt so infuriated towards someone, but then he walks in and I'm a raging inferno.

"I wouldn't account all of it towards rage, amanté." The sinner himself comes up behind my back, "I must admit I was coming up to make sure, but it looks like Irene has it handled." His scent is calling me, his gruff voice a perfect song against my ears. I turn to him, eyes slits.

"I want to be perfectly clear. Dinner with you wasn't discussed in the garden, and I feel blindsided with this expectation to be around you most of the time." The words dangle from my lips, my heart thrumming just a tad quicker when his single eyebrow shoots up, "And if you have any respect for me, I'd appreciate a compromise."

"A compromise?" His sexy arms flex into a fold across his chest. Tattoos snake up his skin, dark hair falling in all the right ways. Victor's height is maybe a foot over mine, but it feels so much larger when he comes up close breaking into my personal bubble, "What might you offer me?"

"Of the seven days, I'll eat with you five. Two weekdays must be reserved for me to eat alone, in return I offer that you can choose my dress for any meal or event you choose. You seem to be a lover of control."

His tongue runs over his teeth, head dropping closer to mine. His white leather gloves reflect the light pouring from the ceiling. Please touch me. The thought captures me, and I watch his hand flex forward, then drop back, "And yet I can't control you." The words seem sad, like he wishes that he could whisk me away and control my every moment. Instead of pushing for an explanation, I choose to back down and grunt at Irene down the hallway. She walks up to my back with the dress in hand, the vampire waiting just where I left him. Our bodies are close, our chests rising and falling in sync. Do vampires breathe, "Only when they want to take in the scent around them. No other time." I have to keep my hand from slapping over my mouth. I don't remember saying that aloud.

He's breathing me in like I am him. Is he just as affected by me, "Do you agree or not? I don't have all evening." It was meant to come out a little harsh, like normal. A horrible defense that I have against people I'm afraid to get close to. If they hate me, they can never break my heart. However, it comes out like a tumble of stutters. My mind can't form the sentence, and my eyes fall to the floor.

"I'll submit to you for today, but I wouldn't savor this taste of victory darling." He whispers against my ear. I hadn't seen him move, nor was I expecting it. It was a surprise that stopped my heart for just a moment, my hand reaching up to grip the front of his soft shirt. My brain muddles into nothing. It's a long moment before I realize the situation and push him from me. He lets me. I know he could hold his place, my hand would break before I moved him, but he still listened, "Now go get ready. I'll ask the chef to push off dinner until a quarter till."

"Th-thank you." I'm rushing down the hall to my room. Bella greets with happy yips. My butt goes against the wall, body dropping slowly to the floor letting my arms wrap around my fluffy comfort. She licks and wiggles in my hold bringing my happiness up more than enough levels to face the smirk sliding into place on Irene's face, "I never want to speak of what just happened."

"Oh? You mean the fact you were a pitiful mess in front of his grace! It was so wonderful!" She laughs grabbing the dress to hang near the dressing station. She's grabbing my arm pulling me to standing, "Come on, you need a bath. The handler is heading up to pick up the dog for dinner as well. The duke had a special place made up for her so she could be near."

"Why in the world would be do that?" I mumble following her mindlessly letting her guide me out of my clothes.

"He knows she calms you, and his grace doesn't want you stressed the entire time you're sitting across from him." My body is dropped into warm water. A door opens along one wall for another woman. She slips into the room, her hands working through my hair while Irene massages my feet.

.

.

.

.

She's so dumb.