Chapter 3: Harry meets zayns roomate

When Harry returned to his room it was around 2 pm, he hadn't had lunch yet and he was starving. He decided he was going to take a shower and then call Zayn to see if he had already eaten lunch.
The run hadn't helped at all, Harry still felt like shit. He wished things had been different growing up, because that's where the roots of his big tree of confidence problems started.

When Harry was in second grade his dad had passed away, it was a very rough time for his mother, his sister and him. His dad was everything to him, his best friend, his partner in crime and even Zayn loved him like a dad, but cancer was a bitch, and bitches always take what doesn't belong to them.

When his father passed Harry repressed his feelings and eating was his solution, so he became a really fat kid, well, an obese kid. Child obesity is no joke, and he knew eating was not the answer for his grief, but he couldn't help it. His classmates always bullied him, calling him all kinds of names. So when Harry was in seventh grade he stopped eating. He wouldn't eat breakfast, he wouldn't eat lunch and at dinnertime he was forced to eat because his mom would notice if something was up, so later in the bathroom he puked, he puked until his mouth was sore, his eyes watery and his gut twisted in severe pain. Harry had hit rock bottom.

Then Zayn found out about it, and almost beat the shit out of Harry. But Zayn helped him get over it, he would sit besides Harry until he finished his meals and never said anything to anyone.
Now Harry was about to call him and he couldn't help but feel he was only annoying Zayn, what a burden he was, always lingering to his only friend and trying to be with him 24/7. Still, Harry called him, hoping Zayn wouldn't get tired of his childish attitude.

"Hello?"
"Zayn, have you eaten lunch yet?" Harry asked.
"Who is this?" Okay, this was not Zayn's voice.
"Who is this?" Harry asked again.
"That's not fair, I asked first!"
"But my name is on the ID..."
"Wait..."Harry waited. "Curlz?..."
"Emmm..., who is this?"
"I'm Zayn's roommate, I guess you're the curly kid who always comes here. Look, Zayn is on the bathroom but you can come over. I have to go, see you later"
And with that the line went dead.
What the fuck had just happened? Who was that guy? Should Harry go to Zayn's room even though his roommate was obviously there? He was starving... Maybe Zayn's roommate wasn't so bad after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After several minutes of self-debating whether it was a good idea go to Zayn's or stay in his room and eat a protein bar for lunch, Harry decided he was going to Zayn's. Where did he find the courage to do so, he didn't know, but it sure felt damn good to be doing something this "rebellious" (seriously, what the fuck was wrong with Harry).
It was a good thing Zayn's room wasn't in another building, because Harry had just gone for a run and he didn't feel like walking a long way. Thankfully, all he had to do was go down a couple of floor and he was knocking on his best friend's door.
Knock Knock.
Harry waited.
And waited.

Knock Knock
"Zayn open up! I'm starving"
Nothing.
Knock knock

Okay, maybe Zayn had left, Harry did spend quite a few time between the phone call with Zayn's roommate and finally deciding to go.
Just as he was about to change his mind and return to his bedroom, the door opened, revealing not Zayn but who Harry could only guess was his roommate. It was a guy not much older than Harry, tall and pale, with a long, blonde, quiff although Harry suspected it was dyed because his brown roots were showing. He was still on his pajamas even though it was 3 pm and he wasn't wearing any shoes.

"Fuck dude, I was sleeping!" The stranger said.
"Ummmm... Are you the one with whom I spoke on the phone?" Harry asked, he already felt stupid.
"You talk really funny... I'm guessing you're 'Curlz'." He said with an amused smile. He was clearly teasing Harry.
"Harry. I's Zayn here?" Harry didn't have time for this crap.

"Are you his girlfriend or something?". Okay, who did this guy think he was? And why was he being so mean to Harry, he didn't know him!
"Niall, close the fucking door!" Zayn yelled from inside the room. Thank God Zayn was there. It would have been even more embarrassing.
"I think you have a visitor mate" The asshole presumably name Niall said.
Niall stepped aside and fully opened the door allowing Harry to enter the room. It was basically the same as his room, the only difference is that everything was backwards.

"Harry! What are you doing here?" Zayn said genuinely surprised. He was sitting on his bed and he patted a spot to indicate Harry he had to join the bed.
"I was just hungry, I wanted to know if you had already had lunch" Harry said sheepishly as he walked towards the bed.

"We had lunch two hours ago" Niall said like he was bragging... Seriously, what the fuck?
"Oh..." Harry hated people. He should be in his room, eating a delicious protein bar and hoping to die soon. "Well, then I should go". He started getting up from the bed even though he had just sat down, but Zayn grabbed his arm and shot a daring look towards Niall. The blond boy only shrugged his shoulder and went back to his bed, pulling the cover over him.
"Wait, I'll join you, I'm still hungry!" Zayn said.
"You don't have t-" Harry started to say but Zayn only looked at him and Harry knew he had the best friend in the whole world.

He and Zayn started their way to the nearest Starbuck, which was nearly two blocks away. So much for Harry's throbbing legs.
"So... Your roommate is a bit..." Harry started.
"Asshole?" Zayn finished for him. "Yeah he is, but only sometimes, trust me, he's great when you finally get to know him" Zayn said like he was trying to convince himself more than he was trying to convince Harry.
"You only say that because he gives you weed"
"Rude!" Zayn pushed Harry's side with his elbow.
They kept walking, and Harry noticed Zayn was quieter than usual, most of the time he was always telling Harry some weird story about what had happened in his day.
The streets were empty, most students were in class, and it was monday, not your average going out day. It was so peaceful, Harry wished it was always like that, things appeared more beautiful to him when the stillness of everything adorned the view.
When they arrived at Starbuck Zayn ordered what they usually got plus a chicken wrap for Harry. As Harry was about to give Zayn the money of his order, Zayn put a hand on Harry's wallet and just said "Don't worry, it's on me".
Weird. Zayn never paid, it was usually Harry who invited him.
"You really dislike him don't you?" His best friend asked. It took Harry a minute to understand who he was talking about.

"I don't know, we don't really know each other" Was all Harry said.
"But you don't like him" It was more a sentence than a question.
"No I don't" Harry said. "But he's your roommate not mine so why should it matter?"
Zayn bit his lip. Harry could tell he was trying to tell him something, but Harry could not quite put his finger on it.
An awkward silence rose, Harry only eating his wrap and drinking his frappè. Zayn didn't even touch his drink.
"Okay, spit it out mate" Harry said kicking Zayn under the table.

"What are you talking about?" He sounded nervous.
"Don't play dumb on me, I know something's up. I'm your best friend" Harry gave Zayn a reassuring smile.
"Ughh, I fucking hate you!"
"I love you too. So?!"
"I'm fucking Niall"

What.
The.
Fuck.