6.

"THE HIGHTOWER'S CLUTTER THE HALLS

"THE HIGHTOWER'S CLUTTER THE HALLS..."

---¤𖠁¤---

Bastard. Bastard. Bastard. Bastard. It was all they talked about all night. How it didn't make any sense. How all the adults knew but pretended like they were too stupid to understand. They weren't stupid. They knew. Everyone in Court knew. And she knew that it was wrong to talk about it. But, so would be telling him to stop it. All it took was one reminder of him being Prince Aemond, not her 'friend' Aemond, that silenced her. Brushing a coiled strand of hair out of her face, she nudges the food around her plate, not really eating.

The sweet sounds of dragons and birds fill the air. It was peaceful here. So peaceful. Enough to make her want to curl under a tree and nap. Letting out a low yawn, exhaustion sinks its claws into her, poisoning her body and mind. Perhaps, she shouldn't have stayed up all night. Covering her mouth with the back of her hand, she continues to let out small quiet yawns, finishing her food being the last thing on her mind. She could always request something small later on. Right now, she was trying her best to not face plant into her lemon cakes.

"Your snoring into your food. What's wrong?" Her mother questions, "Did you not sleep well, my little zaldrīzes?"

"Just...I keep on thinking back towards the fight, at dinner. I couldn't rid my mind of it." She lies, her mind drifting back to Aemond.

"Do not listen to your Uncle Vaemond. He is a second son, they are the most cunning people in the world. He will say anything he can to argue against your Father's wishes." Her Mother dismisses, shaking her head. "He is a bitter old man. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, mother." She nods.

Chewing on her bottom lip, she knew of the tales of bitter second sons. How they would poison their brothers. How they would rape their brother's wives. How they were willing to start a war if it meant that they would get just an ounce of power. Vile. Absolutely vile. Picking at her lemon cake with her fork, she picks at the sugar coated lemon slice, not wanting to meet her Mother's eyes.

"Speaking of second sons, what do you think of Prince Aemond?" Her Mother questions, a teasing smile in her voice.

"He's arrogant and witty. He thinks rather highly of himself, like being around him is such a blessing and you should worship the ground he walks on. But, he is kind." She mutters, cheeks flushing a bright red.

"Oh?" Her Mother raises a brow, "Is that so?"

"No! No! I⎯That's not how I mean it!" She argues, face burning even more.

Dropping her fork, she covers her face with her hands, trying to hide her flushed face from her Mother. She didn't fancy him! He was just⎯She didn't mean it like that! He was her friend! No, he was her acquaintance! That was it! Nothing more! Opening her eyes, she peaks through her hands, seeing her Mother and Father struggling to hold back smiles. She didn't mean it like that! She really didn't!

Covering her face again, her Father lets out a full belly laugh, making her blush even more. Gods, they were never going to let her live it down! Pulling her hands away from her face, her Mother is softly chuckling at her, not her too! Frowning at their blatant amusement at her misery, she picks at her lemon cake. Lifting her eyes to her Mother, her lips quivered into a tiny smile.

"I am only teasing, my little zaldrīzes." She raises a brow, "So, what is this of you being granted a dragon?"

"The King, himself, has allowed her to join the young princes in the Dragon Pits. He hopes that she will be able to lay claim to a dragon." Her Father pipes in, nudging her side.

"Oh, really?" Her mother smiles, "Are you excited, my little zaldrīzes?"

"Yes.."

Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No. Kinda. It was mainly fear, but there was some excitement there. What if she failed to claim a dragon? What if her egg doesn't hatch? What if something goes wrong? What if they made fun of her? A hundred of, 'What if..?' scenarios filled her mind. Letting her worsening thoughts consume her, she nods her head mindlessly, drowning the doubts. Staring blankly at the ruined lemon cake splattered around her plate.

Staring at the crumbles of crust and cracked sugar lemons. At the lemon custard that was now runny. Gross. Really gross. Mushing the lemon cakes with her fork, she could feel shifts in the air go from happy to worry. She really didn't want to mess this up. She didn't want to fail. Feeling her Mother place her hand on top of hers, she snaps out of her thoughts, blinking away the thoughts that clouded her.

"Aren't you happy?" Her Father questions, his voice soft.

"No, I am. I am happy to be granted this opportunity. It's just scary, is all. Dragons..they..um, it's scary, you know?" She mumbles, "Reading about them and seeing them in person is very different, you know?"

"Speak up. You're mumbling again. We cannot hear you." Her mother scolds, wagging her finger.

"Sorry. I'm just worried is all. I have been around Meleys, but that's with you." She clears her throat, "I'm scared that when I get there, none of them will like me. That it would have been for nothing. That the King wasted his breath."

"Whether or not you have a dragon, does not matter. What matters is your wit and how you play the game of politics. Dragon or not, you are a daughter." Her Father pipes in, shaking his head.

Peeling her eyes away from the remains of her lemon cake, there's a gentleness in the air, her shoulders sag. Letting out a long sigh, she shuts her eyes before looking up at her parents. She felt so stupid for feeling this way. But, it was just horrid. She felt so insecure being here in King's Landing. In being around the Royal Family. It was like any wrong breath she lets out, could be taken the wrong way. But, her parents were right, what mattered was how she played the game of politics. Yes, having a dragon was useful in a war. But how useful was a dragon in a war of words?

Shifting in her seat, she stands more confidently in her seat, licking her bottom lip. Yes, they would be proud of her. But, what of the others in court? Would they think the same? Would they gossip behind her back? No, they would. They always do. It would be no surprise. Trying to push down the feeling in her gut, the small voice in the back of her head is whispering to her. It was feeding the bad feeling in her gut like coal to a fire. She wanted to do good. She wanted to be loved. She wanted to do her parents proud. She wanted to make her house proud.

"You won't be mad if I fail to claim a dragon? You're sure?" She asks, trying to confirm if they were telling the truth.

"No, we won't. Besides, your father is right, my little zaldrīzes." Her mother shakes her head, "Knowing how to place the pawns in the game is key to survival."

"I understand. I just don't want to look like a fool is all. If Laena was able to lay claim to Vhagar when she was younger than me, won't there be just a high expectation for me?" She questions, her voice shaking.

"Some might. But, they are fools who underestimate how temperamental a dragon can be. They do not fully grasp how laying claim to a dragon works. Most have never even been around a dragon." Her father scoffs, "They should be the last people you should listen to."

++++++++

And I am done with the chapter! Stay safe out there guys!

I hope you all are doing okay emotionally and physically! I love you all!

I hope that you are enjoying the book so far! A quick reminder to comment below about the story of what you think so far!