8.

"BORN IN FLAMES, DIE IN FLAMES

"BORN IN FLAMES, DIE IN FLAMES..."

---¤𖠁¤---

TWO DAYS LATER, THE DRAGONPITS.

The Dragonpit looked exactly like she had thought it would. It was a little dark and a little damp, but also oddly gorgeous in a 'frozen in history' kind of way. It was hard to see, but there were carvings in the walls. Gorgeous dragons and dragonriders, forever engraved in the very foundation of the pits. Walking down the windy hall, she could faintly hear the thunderous cries and growls of the dragons inside. Freezing in place, her heart jumps up into her throat, her breathing shaky. Chewing on her bottom lip, nerves bubbling up inside of her as she pushes herself to keep going.

What if no dragon wants her to take claim? What if they don't have any eggs for her? Would the court gossip about her failed attempt? Feeling a hand harshly smack hers, she snaps out of her thoughts, noticing Aemond was now glaring at her. What had she done? Furrowing her brows together, he pulls her hand into his, interlocking their hands together. A small sense of calm fills her at the tender action. Giving her hand a small squeeze, they continue to walk towards the pits, the looming sight of entrance coming into view. This was it..

"Stop it." He grunts, "You have nothing to fear."

"Sorry, I just⎯I've never been close to a dragon that wasn't my Mother's. Even so, I don't really spend too much time with her. Doing this, as foolish as it sounds, is scary." She explains, her voice quivering slightly.

"Stop it. You're being ridiculous. Targaryen blood flows through our veins, they won't attack us. They know to bow to us." He scoffs, rolling his eyes.

"That's not true, there have been times where dragons refuse⎯" She argues, but he cuts her off.

"Stop it." He repeats, "You're acting like a fool."

Shooting him a small glare, she rolls her eyes at his comment before wiggling off his hand. He was being down right rude. Her Mother made it clear that she had every right to be scared. That she would be foolish to not have even an ounce of fear in her. Dragons were unpredictable and dangerous beings. Just because people say Targaryens are closer to Gods than men, it doesn't mean that they are invincible. Turning her eyes straight ahead, she purposefully ignored him, ignoring the small protest he let out. Picking at her bottom lip with her teeth, a part of her wants to hold his hand again. But, the other part of her refuses. He was being rude. Calling her a fool.

"I warn you, your majesty. The dragons have been especially temperamental as of late." Sir Kivan explains, "So, be wary."

"Do you know why, Ser Kivan?" She questions, raising a brow.

"We do not know, Lady Jocelyn. It is almost as if they sense something in the air that we cannot." He explains, "All we can do is try to ease them."

"If you do not mind me asking, in what way are they temperamental, Ser Kivan? As in attacking each other or attacking other Dragonkeepers?" She questions, staring up at the older man.