12.

"I CAN'T SEEM TO ESCAPE YOU

"I CAN'T SEEM TO ESCAPE YOU..."

---¤𖠁¤---

Staring blankly at her reflection, she had no more tears left in her to cry. She just felt so bloody exhausted. It was like someone had drained her off all the sadness in her, just leaving a thick numbness behind. Brushing away a strand of hair from her face, her eyes couldn't help but focus on the ugly bags under her eyes. Dark and deep. Proper sleep hadn't come to her in days. And to be quite honest, she didn't think it would ever come back.

Everytime she closed her eyes she dreamt of her last interaction with Laena. The words that she had said to her. The words that she did not. The hug that she gave her. How she was so blissfully unaware that that would be the last hug she ever gave her. How she should've held her longer. Lifting her eyes from her reflection, her Uncle Vaemond stands behind her, a grave look on his face. But, his eyes were calculated and narrow. What was he planning?

"Your parents need you, Jocelyn. Your brother needs you. Now more than ever." He states, "You need to be the strong one today."

"I know." She nods, her voice cracking slightly.

"You and your brother are the last true Velaryon's. It is up to you two to keep our family name going for centuries to come." He states, "Remember who you are! You are Jocelyn Velaryon, Lady of the Tides. Daughter of the Mighty Sea Snake!"

"No. I am just Jocelyn Velaryon, Lady of the Tides, nothing more than that." She argues, narrowing her eyes at him.

"You can be much more than that. You could be future Master of Driftmark, and head of House Velaryon. You just need your Father to make you heir. Prove to him that you should be heir." He states, not bothering to hide what he was insinuating.

Biting her tongue, she walks away from her Uncle, knowing that if she stayed any longer she'd snap at him. She didn't want to be heir to Driftmark, though. She was happy just being Lady of the Tides. She did not have pressure placed on her shoulders. No impossibly high standard to upkeep. Not to mention, if she was heir, all of her titles would shift onto her future husband. Something she did not want to happen. She wanted it to be her titles. Her accomplishments. Not his.

Clenching her jaw tightly, her eyes burn with fury, the numbness replaced with the fury of a thousand scorned woman. He should be grateful that she doesn't tell her Father this. He'd have his tongue for that. If not, his head. Marching as calmly as possible towards her Mother, her nails dig into the palm of her hand. The fury on her face morphing into a soft one. Slowly lifting her eyes off the crashing waves, there's a dazed look on her Mother's face.

"Jocelyn. What has happened?" Her Mother questions, her voice thick with sadness.

"Do not worry, Mother. Uncle was just telling me something about the weather." She shakes her head, "Why don't you go see the girls? Daemon is not with them. They are in need of comfort."