Chapter 14

Amelia awoke with a jolt when she heard the banging on her door. Beside her, Damien was tangled in her sheets, soundly asleep and unmoving. She vaguely remembered being tucked in last night, but she couldn't recall inviting him into her bed. But his presence was the least of her concerns when the banging was only growing louder.

She quickly rolled out of bed and pulled on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt from her dresser. As she exited the bedroom, Damien sat up and watched her disappear into the other room. He rubbed his eyes and then got up to search the room for his pants. When he found his phone inside the pocket, he checked the time. It was only 7:30 on a Saturday morning.

"It took you long enough," a woman said from the other room. It was a voice different from Amelia's. "Do you have any idea how long I waited outside your door? And why do you still look like this, Amelia? It's well past seven."

"Hi, Mom," Amelia said, emitting a quiet sigh. "It's nice to see you too."

Damien walked to the door and tried to peek around the hall, but he couldn't see that far into the living room. He knew it was in his best interest to remain inside the bedroom, but curiosity got the best of him. So, he dressed in the clothes he arrived in last night and then walked out into the living room.

Amelia was leaning against the kitchen island while a woman inspected the shelves lined along the living room walls. She had yet to notice Damien, as she was preoccupied with the clicking of the woman's tongue.

"When was the last time you cleaned up around here?" she asked Amelia. She ran her fingers along the shelf and examined it. "Have you been checking for mold like I told you to?"

"Yes, Mom," Amelia answered, rolling her eyes.

"It doesn't look like it," the woman argued as she looked at the ceilings. "This is why I'm always telling you to move in with a nice man who will take care of the maintenance. Even Cindy's found someone before you."

Damien couldn't contain his laughter as he watched her. Startled, the woman turned to where he stood underneath the archway of the hallway and living room and narrowed her eyes.

"Who are you?" she demanded to know.

Upon noticing him, Amelia sighed in defeat and rubbed her temple. "Mom, this is Damien. He's a friend."

"A friend who came out of your bedroom?" she scoffed. She flipped her long black hair over her shoulder and shamelessly studied his appearance. Although he was dressed in a pressed suit, she still wasn't impressed. "Like I'd believe that."

Damien smiled and stepped forward, offering Amelia's mother his hand to shake, but she only grimaced. "Mrs. Lee, your daughter and I have actually been together for a while now. She takes excellent care of me and our home."

The woman raised a brow and turned to Amelia. "Is this true?"

Amelia looked at Damien who gave her an encouraging smile and then nodded her head. "Yes, it is."

"Well, why didn't you tell me? I'm your mother."

Amelia shrugged. "We barely talk, and when we do, it's always about Cindy and your new son in law or you're praising Michael for getting out of bed."

The woman tried to respond, but she was cut short by the voice on the other side of the door.

"Mai, you forgot the rest of your luggage," a man said, barging through the front door.

All eyes turned to him, and when Amelia recognized the man standing on the threshold, she immediately ran to him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Uncle Khang, what are you doing here?" she asked him. Her words were muffled inside his jacket, but he could hear clearly the excitement in her voice.