Chapter 29

Damien spotted Amelia through the window of a small pop up store when he arrived at the shopping center. He watched from behind the glass as Amelia shuffled through each article of clothing hanging on a rack. When she made it to the end, she picked up a white dress and glanced at the price tag. A frown appeared on her face, and she disappointedly returned the dress to the rack. Damien entered the store at that moment and cleared his throat.

"Was there a problem with the dress you picked out?" he asked her.

She gazed up at him with a sheepish smile and red cheeks. "It doesn't come in my size."

He checked the tag and lightly chuckled, although he hadn't found her blatant lie to be humorous. "Do you want to try that again?"

She shook her head and continued looking through the rack. She knew her silence would result in consequences, but she had already been caught lying. She would be punished anyway.

Noticing her impassive stare, he cupped her face in his hand and turned her to him. "What's wrong, Amelia?"

She picked up the dress that she had been looking at and showed him the price tag. "This is fifty dollars."

"I don't see the problem," he said, unamused.

"The problem is that it's too expensive."

Damien clicked his tongue and took the dress from her hands. "This is exactly why I put Evelyn in charge of the card. Where is she?"

"She went to grab coffee twenty minutes ago and hasn't come back," Amelia told him.

He scowled, displeased with the information. "What was she thinking when she left you alone?"

"I can take care of myself," Amelia said, rolling her eyes. She tried to walk away, but Damien pulled her in at the waist, keeping her close.

"I don't doubt that," he murmured. "But I'd be very upset if anything happened to you."

She wrinkled her nose and pressed her palm against his chest, shoving him away. "Then you shouldn't have trusted your girlfriend to babysit me."

He pulled his brows together. "My girlfriend?"

"Friend," Amelia corrected. "Whatever she is."

"Evelyn will hear about how disappointed I am, but I want to know where this is coming from."

Amelia emitted a sigh and absentmindedly searched through the rack. She didn't want to cause unnecessary conflict, but she couldn't suppress the deep feeling of betrayal either.

"You shared personal details of my life with a woman I don't even know," she accused him.

"Is that what she told you?"

"She said that you tell her everything."

"She wasn't being truthful," he informed her. "I did mention that we were visiting your family because it's been a while. I shared nothing more because I respect your right to privacy."

Amelia shamefully looked at the floor and twisted her lips. "Then why does she believe that she's the most important person in your life?"

"That's just crazy," he said, taken aback. "Evelyn is a friend, but that's all she is."

"But she wasn't always your friend."

"We were together for a long time," he explained to her. "I caught her in bed with another woman. We tried to work it out until I caught her a second time with my friend."

"Then why are you still friends with her?"

"She supported me through some painful moments," he replied. "It's hard to forget that."