Chapter 25

The office was nearly empty by the time Amelia finished her shift. Only a few lamps inside the attorneys' cubicles illuminated the office. Even the light above Lily's desk had been turned off, despite her presence behind the computer screen.

She was viewing the live security footage outside the office doors when Amelia approached with her jacket draped over one arm. She set her tote on top of the marble surface to pull her jacket on and secured the strap around her waist.

As she did so, she glanced at Lily and asked, "Do you want to join me for dinner tonight?"

Lily flinched, taken aback by the question, and then looked away from her screen to meet Amelia's gaze. "That sounds great, but I think you already have plans."

She gestured to the monitor, prompting Amelia to peek at it. On screen, Damien paced the space outside the office suite, dragging his hands through his hair and over his face.

"He might be here for Vaughn," Amelia suggested.

Lily shrugged and turned her attention back to the computer. "Your boyfriend looks a little distressed. You should probably check on him."

Amelia nodded to agree and then threw her bag over her shoulder before exiting the office. When she appeared in front of Damien, he immediately lifted his head and charged toward her, wrapping his arms securely around her body. She responded with wide eyes and a quiet gasp as he squeezed the air out of her, but after a few moments, she returned the embrace and stroked his back comfortingly.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

He parted from her with a faint smile on his face and nodded. "I hope you don't mind that I dropped by unannounced. I worked on a tough case today and needed a distraction."

She smirked. "I'm a distraction?"

"A very good one," he told her. He draped his arm over her shoulders and steered her toward the elevator. "I know we don't have plans for tonight, but how would you like to come over for dinner?"

She pondered the question as they stepped onto the elevator together and hummed. "That's a very tempting invitation."

Inpatient for a direct response, Damien grunted and wrapped her hair around his hand, pulling her head back forcibly to meet her gaze.

"And not one to take lightly," he said. His rough voice in her ear made her blush and smile coyly at him. "So, what do you say, love?"

She bit her bottom lip and moved her eyes to his mouth. "I'll accept but only if you promise there'll be dessert."

His nose flared, and his cock stiffened inside his pants, pressing painfully against his zipper. "I'd prefer to have you for dessert, but if my pet desires something else, I'll prepare it."

Amelia leaned toward him and grazed her finger over his lips, tempted to kiss him, but she resisted the urge to do so.

Her lips parted, and she tried to speak, but she couldn't utter a single word as she stared pensively at him. Fortunately, she was saved by the ding of the elevator, indicating that they had reached their destination.

"I'll take you to your car," Damien offered. With her hand in his, he pulled her across the lobby and through the automated doors.

She remained quiet as she followed him. Upon arriving at his parked car, she reached for the handle of the passenger door, but he intercepted her and opened it instead.

"You know that you aren't allowed to open your own doors," he scolded her. He clicked his tongue in dismay and gestured to the seat.

With a sheepish smile, Amelia stepped forward and tried to enter the vehicle, but a red gift bag occupied the seat instead.