Chapter 27

Vaughn had been speaking for nearly two hours. He was presenting his caseload to Amelia and sharing the smallest of details of each of his clients. This was the second time this month that he had pulled her into a conference room to drill as much information into her head as possible. And her head was throbbing.

She rubbed her temples and looked above his head where a ticking clock sat on a shelf. It read 5:36 — over half an hour past her shift — and as much as she wanted to leave, she knew that interrupting Vaughn would only result in consequences.

But it was a Friday night, and she had been looking forward to spending a quiet evening in Damien's den with a new book all week long, which couldn't happen if she remained inside the conference room.

So, she cleared her throat to obtain Vaughn's attention. When he paused in mid-sentence and turned to her with a raised brow, she contemplated apologizing. But she decided against it and closed her laptop, disconnecting it from the large screen in front of them.

"We can pick this up on Monday," she told him.

Vaughn blinked hard, taken aback by the suggestion. "Ms. Lee, I don't believe we're finished."

"Well, I am," she argued. Her response triggered a scowl from him, but she was unaffected. At least she made sure to appear that way. "My day ends at 5 PM. So, I'll see you on Monday."

He crossed his arms over his chest and smirked, surprising Amelia with the sudden change in his demeanor. "Alright then, Ms. Lee. Have a wonderful weekend."

"You as well," she said before exiting the conference room.

As she made her way to her office, she shook off the tingling in her arms and breathed in deeply to slow the racing of her heart. When she was certain that she was alone and not under Vaughn's watchful gaze, she celebrated her small victory with a grin.

She retrieved her bag from behind her desk and pulled her jacket on. As she packed her belongings, Lily sauntered into her office unannounced with her head hung low and her eyes focused on the tablet in her arm.

"Vaughn's raging in his office," she informed Amelia. "Any idea what that's about?"

Amelia furrowed her brows. He didn't seem upset when she left him in the conference room, but perhaps he had remained composed for her benefit.

"Me, I'm assuming," she answered.

Lily lifted her head and mischievously smiled. "He threw books at the wall. What the hell did you do to our dear old boss?"

"Nothing," Amelia promptly responded. "I just wanted to leave."

Lily hummed. Her amused expression told Amelia that she wasn't convinced, but she didn't press for more information.

"Before you go, I wanted to show you something that I've been working on," she said as she handed Amelia the tablet.

Amelia gazed down at the device in her hands. On the screen was an intricate sketch of a white ball gown. The sweetheart bodice had visible boning down the torso and was adorned with embroidered floral appliqués that cascaded down the tulle skirt. The sweep train indicated to Amelia that she was looking at a wedding dress.

"Wow," Amelia whispered as she continued to study the image. "This is amazing, Lily, but why are you showing me?"

Lily clasped her hands in front of her and rocked on the balls of her feet. She appeared nervous, but Amelia was too focused on the screen to notice.

"Brooke found my work online," she explained to Amelia. "She asked me to design a dress for her."

Amelia's eyes snapped up to Lily's. "Is this her wedding dress?"