Chapter 23

Amelia's family lived in a picturesque cottage style home in a quiet suburban neighborhood. Despite the cold weather, guests had gathered inside the double car garage. A group of men sat together around a plastic folding table sipping on beers and laughing over a card game while two women cooked over a propane burner. All the guests were speaking in a language that Damien couldn't understand, but he picked up on a few English words murmured by the women who spotted Amelia at the end of the driveway, shamelessly pointing at her. She waved at the women and smiled, but Damien could tell she was forcing it.

A part of him felt guilty for bringing her back to the place she had escaped, but the other felt only relief when she placed a hand on his arm to draw his attention and lifted her lips in a soft smile.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked.

She nodded at him. "I have to."

"You'll tell me if you want to leave, right?"

"Yes, sir," she said. She smirked when he raised a brow at her.

He lowered his lips to her ear and quietly groaned into it, expressing his displeasure. "Speaking that way at a family event has consequences, Amelia."

To his surprise, she leaned in and gazed at him over her lashes. "I promise to behave while we're here."

The corners of his lips twitched. He could sense the women glancing curiously at them, so he placed his palm on the small of her back and led her up the driveway.

While the women stirred the contents inside the charred and dented pot, one of them gestured for Amelia to approach. With hesitance, she stepped forward and was immediately engulfed in the woman's embrace.

"We didn't know you were coming," she said to Amelia. She inspected her face as she broke away and clicked her tongue in dismay. "You've gotten so skinny. Are you not eating?"

Amelia laughed, although it was evident to Damien that she was uncomfortable. Her tense posture gave her away, but the woman couldn't tell. Before Amelia could respond to the question, the woman said something in her native tongue. This must have displeased Amelia because she shook her head and responded in the same language. Her tone sounded aggressive — a stark contrast from her usual warm and sultry voice.

"Please, Auntie Hli, I don't need it," Amelia insisted.

Damien knew they were arguing about money when Hli took a few bills out of her apron and shoved it into Amelia's hand.

"Your birthday was last month," Hli said, waving her hand dismissively. "It's a gift."

"This gift is way too generous."

"Then save it in case of an emergency," Hli suggested. She turned back to the stove and picked up her wooden spoon. With her back now turned to Amelia, Hli didn't catch her rolling her eyes.

"I have savings," she told Hli.

Hli lifted her gaze to Damien's. "Is she always this stubborn?"

"Yes," he promptly answered. His response made Amelia wrinkle her nose while Hli and Damien laughed together. "But I promise she's well taken care of."

"What a surprise," Hli commented as she turned her attention back to the pot. "She's never let anyone take care of her."

"Still doesn't," Damien murmured.

A smile graced Hli's face, but it didn't meet her eyes. "Then keep trying because my Amelia deserves a break."

Amelia wrapped her arms around the woman's shoulders and hugged her tight. "Thank you. You've always been way too kind to me."