Chapter 38

Amelia couldn't sleep. As she laid in bed, she watched the moving shadows through the blinds and tried covering her eyes with the comforter to block out the moonlight spilling into the room. Beside her, Damien stirred and wrapped his arms around her body, pulling her toward him. Her immediate response was to separate herself, but even in his sleepy state, he was still stronger than her.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" he groggily asked.

She tilted her head to look at him. His eyes were closed, and he appeared to be sleeping, but the question was a clear indicator that he was awake.

"I can't," she admitted.

"Why not?"

She moved her gaze to his chest and frowned. She didn't want to tell him the truth — that she was afraid he'd leave again. So, she opted for silence.

"You can talk to me, sweet girl," he told her.

She shook her head and lifted his arm. "I need some water."

"I'll come with you," he offered. He peeled the comforter off of him and tried to roll out of bed, but she pulled him back before he could get up.

"Come back to bed," she insisted. "I'll only be gone for a few minutes."

He scowled, but his reaction wasn't completely visible to her in the dark. "If you're not back soon then I'm coming down."

Ignoring his threat, she grabbed his t-shirt off the floor and pulled it over herself. She glanced back at him as she walked out of the bedroom only to find him already fast asleep. Relieved, she softly shut the door and crept to the top of the stairs.

As she made her way down, she noticed a beam of light from the lower level. It was too dim to have been coming from the foyer or even the living room. Upon further investigation, she found that the light in the kitchen was responsible for illuminating her path. She followed it and paused under the archway when she saw Freddie hunched over the island with a glass between his hands.

"You couldn't sleep either?" she asked.

Freddie looked over his shoulder at Amelia and smiled. "I haven't tried to yet. Brooke and Wes seem to have forgotten that there are other guests here."

She laughed and entered the kitchen. As she walked across the cold floor, Freddie shamelessly raked his eyes over her body. She stopped in front of the cupboards and reached up for a glass, causing her shirt to lift. He quickly looked away and tried focusing on anything other than her partially exposed round and plump ass cheeks.

"Thankfully, I fell asleep before I was subjected to that," Amelia said as she filled up her glass at the sink.

He lifted his head as she turned to look at him. When he noticed the sadness in her eyes, he asked, "Everything okay?"

She nodded.

"I'm not convinced," he said. He pulled out a stool from underneath the island and gestured to it. "Tell me what's going on."

Amelia brought her glass of water with her to the stool and sat beside him.

"Damien came back," she told him.

Freddie hummed. "Is that a bad thing?"

"No," she swiftly replied. She wiped her forehead and quietly sighed. "Is it crazy to say that I missed him while he was gone?"

Freddie shook his head. "It's only natural to miss the person you love."

"But he hurt me," she said dejectedly. "He chose someone else, but I shouldn't be upset because he came back for me, right?"