"Come on, Tristan." I yell from outside, digging around the packed car for an iPhone charger.

"Coming coming, sorry I was on the phone with my mom. She's getting gas, then getting on the interstate." Tristan wipes his brow, hopping into his 2020 Black Jeep.

He leans over to give me a kiss, his brown stubble tickling my face, and starts the car.

My heart starts to race and my nerves are on edge. College starts in just a couple of weeks and we're on our way to my dorm. My heart aches when I think about going to the small town of Tennessee. I will be leaving my home state of Georgia, my family, friends, and most importantly Tristan.

We have been dating for four years, spending no longer than a week away from each other. Tristan decided to stay and go to Georgia State, but the scholarship for Tennessee Tech was too good to pass up. I'm practically getting paid to go to college, which helps coming from a single parent household.

I glance over at him driving, trying to soak up every second with him. His hands grip the steering wheel as we turn out of his neighborhood. His long brown hair falls into his face, and he annoyingly pushes it away. My eyes go down to his chiseled jaw, then to the chain I got him for our two year anniversary.

Tristan reaches over to place his hand on my thigh and I give it a gentle squeeze as I look at the all too familiar town that I have called home.

A phone pings and I look at the message coming from my phone.

Mom: We're on our way, drive safe

Me: Ok, love you

I shut my phone off and get ready for the five hour long car ride. My mom offered to drive my car to Tennessee, but they have this rule where freshman aren't allowed to have a car their freshman year. Stupid, but I have always been a rule follower and know I would rat myself out if I were to get questioned.

"Pretty sure my mom and your mom are jamming out to Snoop Dogg right now." I open one eye to look at Tristan smiling. "I would hate to be in the car with them right now." he says.

I appreciate him trying to make me smile, but I can't gather the energy to curl my lips up in a half-assed attempt to even seem like I am faking it. I regret making the decision to move, and the more I look at Tristan the more the pit in my stomach grows. Feel a pit in my stomach like moving is going to change my life. It's weird but I don't want it to be something negative, I don't need any more of that in my life.

Before I know it, tears start to brim my eyes and I turn my head to face toward the window. I don't need anyone thinking that I am having doubts. I try to gently shake my head to make my kinky curls fall around my face to cover the fact that I am fixing to have a full breakdown. I look at my reflection, seeing my light brown skin and sad brown eyes staring back at me.

But Tristan can sense something is wrong and squeezes my hand. "Stop siking yourself out, babe. You'll love it there."

I gulp, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. "Just don't forget about me okay? You're all I have." I manage to get out without breaking down.

I see him give me a quick look in the glass, his brows furrowed. "Why would you think that?"

"I don't know, you just always see couples going to college, growing up, and then breaking up."

Tristan laughs. "Babe, this isn't one of your little movies or books you like to read. I love you, okay. I won't let anything get in the way of that."

I turn my head to look at him, smiling for the first time all day. He didn't even have to joke for me to smile.